Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Do you have the disk controller mode set to RAID in the BIOS (instead of AHCI)? (Note --- This is the default configuration even if you do not have any RAID arrays defined.)
    If you do, you may need to load the Intel Rapid Storage "F6 floppy" drivers, from the Windows 10 setup environment, before you can see the drive to install Windows on.

2. Charles Parker

Charles Parker Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, mode is RAID.
    Okay, i will check this also.
    Thanks to all of you for your support.

3. princeofphatz

princeofphatz Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm whether an Oculus Rift will work on the 7730 with a Quadro 4200? I've been searching for quite some time and haven't been able to find a concise answer. Hope someone here can help! My other option is getting an Alienware 17 R5 with the GTX 1080, but I think I'd much rather have a Precision. I've got an M4700 now and it has treated me very well.
    Also, seeing from the comments here, it looks like the 5200 is definitely not worth the jump in price? Thanks!

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    These machines are advertised as "VR ready" (with Quadro P3200 and up). It "should" work (would be nice if someone confirmed that they have tried it); you'll need to use the "direct discrete output mode" for graphics settings in the BIOS to make sure that the Intel GPU is out of the loop when you attach your Oculus.

5. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is anyone else having issues with core temperature differences? I have cores 1, 3 and 5 at like, a 15 degree or more temperature differential than the other three cores (those three are cooler)

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Oh, same. Even at a full load (AC Odyssey, extreme decompression, software ray-tracing), I have a couple of cores at about 80 °C and another couple at 95. I think a repaste with a thicker thermal paste or the 3M graphite thermal pads would really help.

7. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yup, that's pretty much what I'm seeing too under any kind of load, synthetic or otherwise. 1, 3 and 5 are about 10 to 15 cooler than 0, 2, and 4. I have repasted using noctua NT-H1, I thought maybe that was the issue so I repasted again (same paste) and my results are about the same. I used much more paste the second go round just in case I wasn't getting enough for good contact given the lower pressure of the cooler vs a desktop. One thing I do notice also is that the thermal pads for VRMs and such don't have a very visible mark in them where the VRMs push against the pad. Related? Idk.

8. Regular_Ragnor

Regular_Ragnor Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    upload_2018-12-19_7-28-29.png
    AU Optronics B173HAN01.3

EDIT:
    oops! I swear I read "7730".

9. princeofphatz

princeofphatz Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. A couple chat reps at Dell have said that it is VR ready, and have assured me it will work with an Oculus Rift, but I think they were just sales reps so it's hard to tell exactly how knowledgeable they are on the specific requirements for the rift.

10. princeofphatz

princeofphatz Newbie

Reputations:
    To make matters even more confusing, one sales rep said that the video card has 4 DisplayPorts, another said it has a mini DisplayPort, and tech support says that the HDMI is connected to the video card and not the motherboard. She did confirm that I can select which video card to use in the bios, so at least there's that.