Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I receive a new 7730 and TB18DC dock last week and have only been using the combination for 3-4 days now, but so far it's been good. I have lots of devices running through the dock (e.g., two external monitors daisy-chained through a DP cable, mice and other USB peripherals, etc.).

I ran into one oddity a couple of days ago in where my screens went blank and seemed to cycle for about 30-60 seconds as though I'd unplugged the dock and plugged it back in but it hasn't happened again since.

David11754 likes this.
  2. Lotiara

Lotiara Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All
    Is there any real difference between intel i7 8850h compared to the 8750h ? The price is not much more.
    How does the intel i7 8850h compared to the 8750h? In some laptops I’ve been reading that the added clock speeds can have a really bad effect on thermals etc
    Which one is a better choice ?
    Thanks

3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    In this chassis both have slim chance to attain full boost.

With 8850H you can tune the boost clocks to either lower or higher (by +400mhz per core), so you can set a turbo for all cores to be slightly lower instead of disabling it fully.
    It's more flexible as long as you know how to tune it.

4. Regular_Ragnor

Regular_Ragnor Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm not sure why you would say that when there's multiple examples in this thread of even the i9 being kept in check.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Isn't that on the 7730 with a bigger heatsink?

There's also the PL limitation as mentioned by several people. Can't change the long PL (short too? Not entirely sure on this).

In context, a tuned 4GHz i9 on a liquid metal AW17R5 running its fan on max speed takes around 90w to run ROG Realbench and 82-90w to run OCCT.

6. Regular_Ragnor

Regular_Ragnor Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I can't remember the exact username, but someone here got the similar results on their i9 7530. Also, there's @Ionising_Radiation with his Xeon, which is similar enough.

Basically, all it (usually) takes to get the full performance of the chip is a 100-150mV undervolt, which can happily be applied with XTU to the i9 and both the i7's.

You may be correct about the power limits. It's possible they are only adjustable on the i9. I don't know.

7. Maju

Maju Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey.
    I have a question regarding Dell warranty.
    If I get a 7730 with one ssd, can I put 3 more myself without affecting the warranty of product?
    No replacement, just adding.

8. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Yes, definitely. The Dell ProSupport warranty is particularly flexible.

Maju likes this.
  9. Lotiara

Lotiara Newbie

Reputations:
    I think I would get 8850H.
    I don't know how to tune the turbo, but I am sure some one will give a clue :)

Thanks

10. kittenlips

kittenlips Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you undervolt (and possibly also repaste) the chassis can sustain full boost. My 7530 with E-2176M achieves and sustains all cores at full boost @ 4.10 GHz without any issues and temps < 87 C. I undervolted in order to achieve that and I also repasted, unfortunately though I didn't test temps before repasting so cannot give diffs due to it. If I turn the undervolt off even with repaste it thermal throttles and I think can only sustain all core boost @ 3.50 GHz or so.

EDITED: 4.30 -> 4.10 GHz, 3.90 -> 3.50 GHz

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018