PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Not talking about using XTU for any tuning.
    Just running the XTU benchmark (which was designed to test CPU/RAM stability as it is changing loads instead of applying constants like other benches) and sharing results.

It also nets you more points on the bot than any other benchmark:

https://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_8750h/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unfortunately having XTU installed on top of Throttle Stop is not something I will do just to run the benchmark. The implications of having them running at the same time are not good, and I cannot keep the system running at peak performance without TS running. Given it runs games for several hours on end, and about half a dozen other legitimate benchmark programs I have no doubts it would be equally stable with XTU. Still, by tomorrow I should have at minimum 8-10 hours of consistent play time to further verify.

3. Prema

Reputations:
    XTU doesn't make any setting changes on its own by just loading it up...it loads whatever values where set in BIOS/TS and makes suggestions, but doesn't change them as long as we don't hit the apply button. ;)

You got 6.7 points for your CB20 run and get roughly a 150 plus 25 points for being first in XTU:

https://hwbot.org/submission/3982788_kill4l_xtu_core_i7_8750h_1979_marks

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    4W4K3 likes this.
  4. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I'll give it a shot! I'm just stubborn haha.

Currently found an instability going to Sleep at -0.350v core so that is no longer a good setting on my machine. I went back to -0.250v and am increasing slowly as I go in and out of Sleep to find the breaking point. That is always an area I found touchy, as it puts the processor in very low power and undervolting even more can be too much.

I'll post back with the most it will undervolt while going and and out of Sleep and then I can try the XTU benchmark! :)

Prema likes this.
  5. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox and Prema like this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes they are deliberately exposed settings so XTU can hook in.

4W4K3 likes this.
  7. Prema

Reputations:
    Well done!
    Sometimes the switch from being stubborn to being persistent is a small, yet rewarding one. :)

Mr. Fox and 4W4K3 like this.
  8. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I picked up one of these the other day (open box deal was kinda irresistible), and must have got a bit lucky with the hardware. CPU ran hot, so I under volted with XTU by 150mv. GPU runs very cool though, I haven't seen it go over 75 yet, seems to hover around 70. Got a 2960 for Cinebench R20 with just the under volt.

Overclocked the GPU by 200Mhz with the preinstalled software and broke 8000 on TimeSpy: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/7477492

4W4K3 likes this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    There is supposed to be a nice bit of play in the GPU clocks on these :) I hope you enjoy your machine.

10. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've just noticed something. Despite me setting Throttlestop to use less voltage, there's a minimum that the CPU will go down to. Just for fun, I set my UV to my core to -500mV and it still used the same voltage when I had -335mV. So there's a limit to how low you can set your voltage to. Shame, I wanted to see if I get under 1V when under full load.

4W4K3 likes this.