PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. FTW_260

FTW_260 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @TheUberMedic What are the real values of the voltage on the core during the benchmark? Can you post a screenshot? ;)

2. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here you go, temps are higher cause I'm using it on my lap. Still got 2668 while it's on my lap and on automatic fans xD
    Annotation 2019-06-17 214113.png

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice! That is a high score with a big undervolt on the core! If you're still able to score high while undervolting I think you've hit the nail on the head. I am very curious how the laptop will perform in gaming with such an undervolt. BobOfAllTrades seemed to go back to -0.125v after the initial -0.350v because he wanted higher boost clock speed. It seems "easy" to maintain max turbo during a single benchmark. Whereas in games, there are a ew more variables that affect temperature and workloads.

4. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    The testing continues.

I have not moved from -0.135v cache. But I did jump down to -0.250v core after @TheUberMedic 's success and fired up an online game of WWZ with 2 friends. We played for roughly 2.5hrs and no issues to speak of. Temps peaked at 88C on several cores, however the core clock was always within 3.850-3.90GHz which I will call "consistent" given how the cores always fluctuate a bit under gaming.

Maybe I will try lower if there are no stability issues! I have been really pleased with the stability of this laptop thus far. I feel there probably isn't much more to do other than keep it operating and possibly repaste with a much higher quality thermal paste.

5. FTW_260

FTW_260 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But i'm asks about voltages, not temps) :D

6. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    At -0.350v core and -0.150v cache undervolt under TSBench 1024 test it pulls roughly 0.9500v @ 57W for my setup.

Cinebench R20 Multi Core test is closer to 0.9700v @ 59W.

I've also hit the limit of this memory combo I believe. CL17 is the lowest it will boot at this speed. And tRAS time lower than 41 causes errors in TSBench.

Not bad going from PC2666 19-19-19-43 2T @ 1.2V all the way to PC3000 17-17-17-41 1T @ 1.35v for free!

Also worth noting; I placed a small square of thermal pad on the PCH surface to help cool it. It seems to be roughly 10C cooler after the pad.

9500.png

FTW_260 likes this.
  7. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I have to recant on that last tRAS update. I woke this morning to some errors after more testing at those timings.

Backed off to tRAS 43 and all is well again. So official stop at PC3000 17-17-17-43 1T @ 1.35v.

It also seems the limit for my RTX 2070 is +200 offset core and +500 offset memory speeds. Roughly 1629 base boost but it will peak at 2000 or so max. Exactly 2000MHz memory speed (default 1750).
    Not bad at all! Lives in the 60-70C range under load. Anything more to the core causes instability. This is via the MSi OC Scanner app/Curve.

Interestingly, on the inside of the bottom lid of the laptop I noticed the mesh grill is tabbed and folded to hold it in place. I straightened the tabs, gently pushed the grill out from the inside and removed it. The CPU and GPU fans are now fully exposed to direct air with no restriction from the metal grille. I've put the grille safely aside for re-installation later, as it is easily replaced.

I think the removal of this grille is good for 1-3C difference under load and on max fan settings. The laptop WILL ingest more dust and hair without the grille, so beware. A worthy trade off in my mind as I clean my laptops religiously. Too much, honestly.

8. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Congrats on tweaking your systems and making them the best that they can be.
    I can really appreciate the effort behind it! :)

Those are very high CPU undervolts. Are these CPUs still e.g. XTU benchmark stable like that?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The voltage is the number listed after where it says "VID". It shows a value of 1.0162V.
    Don't use XTU but it seems stable. Been playing games for hours on end with no crashes or the likes.

10. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I also do not tune with XTU. Using Throttle Stop and MSi Afterburner currently. I run a number of other benchmarks. All the free 3DMark tests, TSBench, Cinebench R20, Unigine Superposition, Unigine Heaven, and there is an in-game benchmark for WWZ that I use. I like the in-game benchmark as it's a mix of CPU/GPU/memory testing and it heats up all the components.

I am extremely happy to say I have yet to see a hard crash or BSOD of any kind since buying this computer. Which is crazy, because my previous Acer had BSOD's all the time!

The memory errors I have seen were simply application crashes. OR TSBench just says "# Errors". Same when overclocking the GPU too much, the benchmark just closes.

At -0.350v core and -0.150v cache the temperatures are very good under load! I have been/will be gaming and testing all today and tomorrow and will report anything that pops up.

To say I'm surprised by the stability is an understatement. My previous i5-7300HQ would barely hit -0.115v before instability. That runs on Kaby Lake which is a bit dated. I think the Coffee Lake architecture has something to do with independent core and cache voltage but maybe I am wrong.