PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. scooptroop

scooptroop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone here have any experience with Obsidian Control Station and the other apps they have for Clevo? I just did a fresh install on a PB71 I got last year and I'm debating over whether to go with Obsidian or just reinstall Clevo Control Center. The only downsides I see are an extra fee for fan control and the lighting part of it not being able to handle per key rgb like I have. I'm wondering if I can simply install the Clevo keyboard app to keep that feature but use Obsidian Control Station for everything else.

thanks

2. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Annotation 2020-06-17 154656.png
    *insert mad laughter*
    Finally got my RAM running at 3200Mhz CL16. Had to crank up the System agent voltage to +75mV to get it to work as a reference but I bet I could bring that down.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well done :)

4. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    Managed to get it stable at +45mV for the System Agent. Feelsgoodman

On another note, my MSI afterburner settings aren't being applied on startup. I have everything set and AB thinks the settings are applied but GPU-Z says otherwise. I have to manually select the profile again and apply it everytime I startup :|

Also, when undervolting the GPU, what do you guys set the max voltage to? Mine's currently set to 825mV @ 1770MHz but I'm thinking I should bring it down to 737mV @ 1600Mhz

5. Tamerh73

Tamerh73 Newbie

Reputations:
    Keyboard backlight is not working and I have to uninstall the control center and install it again to work .. but it stops again after reboot
    Is it a problem in my motherboard ?

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

6. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    Wanna try my custom build of Project Aurora? It might help.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qJywvwWnLiA_zrkDVyrihJVeXBG5gxzA

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haven't updated this in a year. Still occasionally gaming with the PB70EF-G. Lately MW: Warzone mostly, still messing about in Skyrim and World War Z as well. I travel with the laptop every other week by motorcycle in a backack and as of yet it has shown no signs of wear or damage. I've been 140MPH+ wih the laptop on my back!

I've stumbled upon this program which has boosted some performance system wide via power management.

PowerSettingsExplorer - https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-power-plan-settings-explorer-utility.416058/

This allows you to easily view processor power management settings and other Power scheme settings Windows hides. Core parking, idle time, c-state promotion/demotion, all adjustable here. Depending on CPU model, these settings can make quite a difference to CPU load/balance and overall system performance.

Within these settings specifically I found changing PCI-E Link State Management to "Off" when benchmarking or gaming made a massive difference. Nearly 1,000 points in some 3DMark tests. However it also raises idle power usage from 1-2W to 10-12W average.

I find myself switching between;

Regular Use: Maximum core parking, PCI-E Link On, NVidia Power Scheme "Optimal"

Gaming/Benchmarking: All Cores active, PCI-E Link Off, Nvidia Power Scheme "Prefer Maximum"

If you can be bothered to test before and after each change within PowerSettingsExplorer you can optimize for your specific system. Specifically ensuring all cores are available and dividing up the workload. I had several times where TSBench or Cinebench were only utilizing 50-80% of cores while the rest sat idle! In games as well, several by default utilize only 2-4 cores.

Also note the system overall does run hotter when you enable all cores and disable the power savings features. I can't stand leaving it all off 24/7 and seeing the laptop idle at 12W+ so I ensure after gaming or when traveling to enable most features.

For an i7-8750H and RTX 2070 it's still a pretty viable gaming laptop! Latest scores;

CB R20 - 3104
    Fire Strike - 18140
    Time Spy - 8156
    Port Royal - 4812