PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Undervolting is the safest and easiest way of optimising the machine, have it cooler running. Just note to find the stability edge and step back from it a bit if you intend to use this for school work.

Eg it ends up seemingly just stable at -120mv on the CPU. So step that back to -90mv and it should be good to rely on.

4W4K3 and initialize like this.
  2. initialize

initialize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome, thank you guys.

I also got a year’s subscription for the ENET gaming edition anti-virus software. Was this a waste of money? I haven’t installed it yet.

Would it be worth getting another DDR4 to make playing cyberpunk even better?

3. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dayum, how tf is your 8750H reaching 3k in R20? Mine only gets to 2667 with even lower UV settings. (it still does reach 3.9GHz all core boost). Max power it'll take during the run is 71W.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Any reason you are fighting the battery power limits?

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My previous two laptops could reach full TDP/power on battery. I'm more just curious what's causing the limit when switching to battery. I mostly just wish to understand it, and not to change it. The slightly extended battery life given by the power throttle is ideal for mobile use, but I almost never use it on battery so it's really not an issue either way.

I run either Windows Defender or Kaspersky Free. Never both. Either disable WD and run Kaspersky or just run WD. That is my preference. I've never in my life paid for antivirus. I am 31 years old and have also never had a virus or malware that I can remember. And I do plenty of web surfing hahaha! That is just my preference. If you use the AV, it may be worth it for you.

If you have only 1 stick of DDR4 absolutely get another. Not even for the added memory capacity, but because it puts your memory in DUAL channel mode running on 2 DIMMS on the same channel. This is a performance boost compared to one stick and single channel mode.

My first CB R20 test unoptimized was around 2600 points. As noted, after repasting the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU the next test scored over 3000. I attribute this entirely to a proper thermal paste application. All 6 cores are usually within 5-6C of each other under load after the repaste. Before the repaste, the cores were 10-15C difference easily. This shows you the coverage of the paste is not even or applied badly.

The memory overclocking got me maybe 50 points in CB (if that). The real key for me was the undervolt and the repaste. I am undervolted -0.165v core, -0.135v cache, 0.0 System Agent (do not undervolt this if you overclock memory), -0.100v iGPU/Unslice. TDP short/long 65W&90W with time limits maxed out.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    What were your last two laptops? This is quite a high power system and batteries are not designed for the high discharge rate.

7. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    Much less powerful notebook for sure. An Acer Nitro 5 with i5-7300HQ with 45W TDP. Same TDP as the i7-8750H but you are right it drew less than half the actual wattage this CPU does during Cinebench. Before undervolting I was seeing almost 90W draw compared to the Nitro 5's 40W or so. You are right, it is likely too much power for the battery.

The other laptop was an Acer Aspire X15, i7-7700HQ. Similar to the Nitro 5, but more productivity oriented. This one I've tuned less. Both had Optimus (HD630) and GTX 1050Ti 4GB cards.

8. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    A 3200MHz DDR4 boot has not been possible yet. It may not be achievable since I am using mismatched memory sticks. One is Hynix modules and the other is Crucial/Micron. Both 16GB sticks, some people say will not overclock as high as 8GB sticks.

Still, we can celebrate some achievement. Tighter timings at 3000MHz! I am still fiddling, and will undoubtedly make more changes. Lots of fun!

CL18.png

FTW_260 likes this.
  9. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox and FTW_260 like this.
  10. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you want faster RAM, Crucial do now sell 3200mhz kits for laptops now