PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. tobyg

tobyg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sadly I will need to return this notebook. And since I bought it open box, it would cost me a more money to get a replacement as they have no more open box 1720's at my store. The display is going bad. Not only those faint horizontal lines, but the display was acting weird. It would dim and then snap back to the current brightness every second. And then there was some weird lines at the top of the screen. Only happened at 144hz, only happened when it was warmed up. But it was getting worse. Anyway, to all of you with a 1720, enjoy your laptop.

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Ugh. That is unfortunate. If you are willing to take the bottom panel / keyboard off, you could try reseating the eDP LCD cable connector. It is located between the CPU / GPU heatsink. Also, does the quality of the display connection change at all if you switch between hybrid / dedicated mode in the bios?

tobyg likes this.
  3. tobyg

Reputations:
    I've taken it apart and repasted it. From what I saw, I highly doubt it's cable related. It works fine until it gets warm. I could crack it open again and check, but I've already boxed it up and don't know if I want to deal with taking it apart again. I get your point, and if it was doing it all the time I would try that... but because it happens after heating up, I think it's some bad component somewhere.

Along those lines though, does anyone know how to determine exactly what screens would fit in this notebook? It's nice enough, maybe I would buy another screen and replace it myself. Because it was open box, that'd still probably be cheaper than returning it and buying new.

Oh and to clarify, I'd actually like a different panel, not this same AUO409D which appears it might be a B173HAN04.0. I hate the horizontal lines I'm seeing on this, also read reports of some sort of inverse ghosting with this panel, and I'd like a whole different panel.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  5. tobyg

Reputations:
    And yes, The Alienware m15 r1 was 55c on the keyboard deck after playing Witcher 3 for 45 minutes. It felt like the whole thing was going to melt down. It was hotter around the uiop keys than wasd where your hand is, bot occasionally i'd bring my other hand up to do something and wow, was that warm.

6. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Manufacturer's warrantee should still apply.

7. tobyg

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm thinking of doing that. But I'd probably have to keep it beyond my return period otherwise they'd probably just suggest I return it.

I'm very amazed how cool this laptop runs and definitely want to keep it. This would be my first Clevo based system and while I think the Dell was better with build quality in some regards, their build quality when it comes to their heat sinks and evacuating heat from the chassis is very poor!

Edit: I was going to re-load windows and noticed even at the Windows setup screen after booting off USB, the screen was doing the weird thing it was doing. And it was completely cold, having sat in the box all night. Having nothing to lose, I did open and reseat the display cable and that might have worked. The problem has gone away so far. I would not have thought that would fix it, but it may have. I need to do a lot more testing of course, but this is promising. It hasn't fixed the faint horizontal lines but I have seen this before on displays by AOU, nothing I can do about them. I just have to decide if I can put up with them.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  8. lappyluke

lappyluke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, that'd be good, do so please.
    What are your exact "everyday settings"? You said -0.130v cache... and the rest? Core UV, TPL, energy-powerplan with core parking, etc.etc. Do you use different TS profiles for that aswell?
    Really interested in all of that too :) Maybe just do a major update edit/post on your seetings for the folks xD

Do you have answers for these questions?
    On the max clock frequenzy on idle: i read somewhere on TS forums, that having the cores on frequency isnt bad because the cores can get parked in a high (c7) state so theyre basicly inactive and just showing the max frequency they've been on as the programs cant refresh the info about that without waking the processor.

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    According to the service manual these displays were the original shipping options and may work even with GSync support:
    • BOE NV173FHM-N44
    • AU B173HAN04.0 (HW:0A)
    • LG LP173WFG-SPB1
    I would still potentially blame the display cable for the horizontal lines. All it takes is opening the lid a few times while the cable is pinched to cause problems like this. Did the floor model also have an AUO panel and exhibit this problem?

10. tobyg

Reputations:
    No, the horizontal lines are an artifact of this display. I've had 2 other machines with these displays like this, I'd have to find the threads, but I was not the only one to see things like this. In fact if you search for the old QHD 2560x1440 displays that shipped with the original Alienware 17 R3's you'd find what I'm talking about. This display is exhibiting very similar horizontal lines.

And the other problem I'm having is back. Just came home, booted it up cold, and it was doing the weird stuff with the display. Tried reseating the cable again, didn't help. So I'm not sure what this issue is. I took a video, will post it on youtube later.