PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Tootsie69

Tootsie69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for the clarification !

Another question, I have disbled ME engine in the bios, do you know what it's for ? What can we disable safely in the bios?

Any tutorial on the bios settings and what they mean ?

2. Gfresh404

Gfresh404 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Question about the display. I know it's the AUO409D panel, but how low can the minimum brightness be set? Other laptops with this panel usually come in around 15 cd/m2.

Can you comfortably use it in a pitch black room?

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don’t have a light meter unfortunately, not sure the exact brightness of the display at minimum.

I’ve used it very briefly in low light for movies and the backlight intensity is not overwhelming. I’ve not noticed any bad backlight bleed on my model but that’s kind of varies unit to unit.

4. r1ch

r1ch Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi I had a question. I was thinking of buying a PowerSpec 1720. I want to make sure I understand it does not have Thunderbolt correct? Also, although I will play first person shooters on it from time to time I want to use it for music production which needs good fast realtime processing. It seems to me that both fans are connected to the gpu and the cpu. If I disable the gpu (and use the intel graphics) will the unit still thermal throttle the cpu out of the box under half to three quarters load? that is about what it is doing on my i7 6700 laptop and it is almost fast enough. Also I thought I read that if you run on battery, it will always throttle the cpu back, even if not using the gpu.. is that correct? One more thing, has anyone raid 0 two nvme SSD's together and tested to see if the bus has the bandwidth to provide even more speed?

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The sager/clevo models that resellers like us sell do have thunderbolt.

6. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    Out of the box you may see some CPU throttling even if using Optimus under high CPU load. I’ve taken various steps to prevent this all after purchase (undervolt, repasted). If you’re OK with running Max fans it will probably solve this.

Correct, no Thunderbolt on the PowerSpec model. Among various other budget saving features. No thumb print reader, no glass trackpad, etc. I’m really happy with the price to performance of the PowerSpec line.

On battery it will attempt to throttle the CPU and GPU for power saving. There are some steps you can do to counter this in Windows Power Options, CCC Power Mode, ThrottleStop, etc. The battery life at maximum Turbo/clocks is not long though!

7. r1ch

r1ch Newbie

Reputations:
    Thunderbolt would be nice but by the time I want to upgrade the video card and add an external one, it is probably better to get a new laptop with latest cpu and motherboard. I guess undervolt would not be so bad. I think/hope I just need a little more cpu speed. I did look on the sagar site, the NP8977 at $1699 was the closest but it had no Thunderbolt or gsync. I found an HP 17 omen on sale for 1,124.99 8gb ram same processor 1070 gsync Thunderbolt but only one m.2. I am not sure if I should save my money for the laptop after this one I am going to buy or spend more money for a laptop that might last me longer without upgrading. Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the info.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The NP8377 is perhaps what you are interested in.

9. meji658

meji658 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey! how did you solve it?

10. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I had a weird snafu with the CPU being stuck in C0 mode and consuming 8W on idle for seemingly no reason. CPU utilization 0%, no programs open. All higher P/C-states were disabled, but the laptop was acting normally otherwise under load. I actually gamed for several days and used it normally for a few days before even noticing the massive idle power draw and increased idle temp (50C vs 36C).

I uninstalled programs, reverted settings, reset all overclocks; did all I could within Windows to no avail. I then completely re-installed Windows, all my programs, wiped the harddrive, etc. It still was stuck in C0 and not working properly! I was livid.

Then I got smart and cleared CMOS to reset the BIOS. Something I should have tried from the start but because the laptop was functioning normally (other than idle) I was *sure* it couldn't be a BIOS problem.

As it turns out, once again, I was wrong. The BIOS reset fixed everything. Idle power draw closer to 0.8-1W now, C3-C7 now all accessible and functioning. Idle temps back down to 30's. It was a humbling moment, because I reinstalled Windows for no reason! Lots of swearing and headache for no reason.
    From all the data I have I believe it was a memory overclock that slowly corrupted the integrity of my system/BIOS but never actually threw an error code or BSOD and only affected idle power draw. In short; user induced error.

Lesson; never be sure about anything. Especially when it's an assumption. Follow troubleshooting procedure to save yourself literally hours of unneeded installs!