PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. initialize

initialize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice! What’s your CPU cache core undervolt set at?

I also just bought a cheap gaming pad + vacuum on amazon. I played CS GO for a couple hours and my temps were in the low 70s the entire time!

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The system agent voltage applies to desktops too when tweaking memory :)

4W4K3 likes this.
  3. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the XMG one so theyre pretty much the same.
    I have the -100mV setting in the bios set just in case throttlestop doesnt open. Windows does not set it back to normal and will keep the undervolt.

Also just a heads up, throttlestop will know theres a -100mV in the bios and will show it.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Any change will override the setting rather than act on top too.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    CPU cache undervolt set to -0.155.3v

6. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    Updating once again because today I managed to shave off some temperature by applying the same logic from MSi Afterburner to Throttle Stop. I'm always learning as I go so I apologize for any glaringly obvious information I may share.

Instead of letting the CPU boost to 4.1GHz 1-2 core, or 4.0GHz 3-4 core, I made all cores 3.9GHz so the CPU remains steady regardless of load. While some games will run the CPU at 4.0GHz there is actually nearly no performance gain over 3.9GHz and the increase in voltage simply makes the system run hotter. You coul limit this further down to 3.7 or 3.5GHz and probably not lose gaming experience. There is a small hit in benchmarks where the CPU is loaded, proportional to your down-clock.
    I found limiting the 8750H to 3.9GHz with a -.230v undervolt maintains less than 0.9750v VID under most loads and peaks around 60W. The cooling solution in the PB70EF-G is more than capable of this.

Also the relationship of cache speed and core speed has eluded me. Cache always seems to be a few hundred MHz lower than core. For my system, it default wants a 300MHz separation. At 3.9GHz core, it wants 3.6GHz cache. I had been manually forcing 3.8GHz cache and thinking "Faster, more performance!"

BUT, as it turns out; there is zero performance boost running the cache higher without also boosting the core. Since my core is locked to 3.9GHz, upping the cache to 3.8GHz (limit) does nothing but make it run HOTTER! That's right, it was detecting the 200MHz rise from 3.6GHz (where it wanted to be) and adding a small voltage increase because of it. The CPU was hotter as a result.

So, relinquishing my grip, I lowered the cache down to 3.6GHz and VOILA the CPU is probably 3-5C cooler while under load. I played an hour of WWZ and saw peak 78C on a few cores, the rest lower. Nice!!

Annotation 2019-07-12 222026.png

7. Tootsie69

Tootsie69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see that you are a perfectionnist. I like that.

Here is a screenshot of my bios. The real question is : do i need another software like yours to achieve the undervolt in windows or the bios version superseeds that ?

My laptop is always in AC mode, so will the flexicharger help ? Won't it keep charging discharging over and over ?

best

Attached Files:

8. Tootsie69

Tootsie69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cooooool. Thanks !!!

9. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    Reference Meaker's post below.

Personally, I would use ThrottleStop in Windows and leave the BIOS default. While using the computer, mid-game, or really at ANY time you can adjust your settings to adjust for temperature. If you tune in BIOS, every time you want to make an adjustment you need to save your work, reboot, go into BIOS, make the change, and then boot back up. To me, that is a pain! Within Throttle Stop you will have all of the BIOS undervolt options and more at your fingertips.

Having said that, there is no harm in using the BIOS method. IF you're more happy using the BIOS, go for it!

FlexiCharger will stop the battery charging altogether after a set maximum charge point. My start and stop charge points are 40/80%.

So, when the battery discharges below 40% it will accept a charge again. When the battery charges to 80% capacity it stops charging. Even when plugged into the wall, if the battery is 41-80% (or higher, somehow) it will not charge. This saves charging cycles and battery life overall. You can set the limits to your preference, and disable the feature altogether when you want to travel and use 100% of the battery again.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    BIOS vs firmware tweaks would overwrite each other, it should never add on unless setting a static voltage.

4W4K3 likes this.