PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. initialize

initialize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OMG I somehow figured it out. My curve was set correctly after all. I think my GPU wouldn't go over 300MHz because I didn't have the latest drivers installed or something lmao. I just got 7781 on Time Spy

4W4K3 likes this.
  2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    PL1 & EDP Other on boot are normal. You will get them every POST cycle. At least that is how my system is also.

If the core clocks arent moving it may be stuck in a low power mode. What power mode is selected under Global 3D settings in Nvidia Contreol panel? There is Optimal Power, Adpative, and Prefer Maximum Performance. Depending on poower plan, the cores clocks may cycle low or remain pegged at maximum.

initialize likes this.
  3. initialize

initialize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They’re set on optimal. Should I change it?

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    For benching then maximum performance to keep the clocks pegged up. I'd return it after you are finished though.

4W4K3 and initialize like this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    For benching then maximum performance to keep the clocks pegged up. I'd return it after you are finished though.

6. Tootsie69

Tootsie69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @4W4K3

Hey !

I have the same laptop as you, only it's from schenker.

On my laptop, i have gpu and cpu undervoltage settings in the bios. I can go to -100mv on the cpu, cpu mem, gpu and gpu mem.

Do you have these settings as well ? Do they superseed the windows settings or not ? will windows set them back to normal once it loads ?

7. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    @Tootsie69 Which processor do you have?

The BIOS in my model does not have any undervolting settings. All of my undervolting are applied through Throttle Stop via Windows. So, technically on boot to OS load it is at factory defaults with no undervolting. There is only memory overclocking in my BIOS version.
    I’d be curious to see your BIOS screens!

As far as I’m aware there is no other BIOS for my PowerSpec model. I’ve looked on Clevo and PowerSpec site but haven’t seen a BIOS listing for update.

In the original post/first page of this thread is a video containing all of the BIOS screens on my exact model from PowerSpec. :)

8. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Clevo and most resellers do not publicly release BIOS revisions any more. AFAIK you'll have to request through your reseller. Further to that, the PB "E" series have been replaced with the R series so development has probably slowed on the older models assuming there's no major BIOS bugs to squash.

4W4K3 likes this.
  9. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    Phased out so quick! The good ones never last ;) I've been pretty happy with this BIOS, I'm hopeful no bugs will pop-up long term. The memory overclocking is really nice to see in BIOS. That and FlexiCharger which I thought I might not use but turns out I use it all the time now!

10. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    OK, I wanted to regroup in this post and share my current settings which are benchmark stable, game stable, idle stable, sleep and resume stable. They are different than the settings in my initial post on Page 1 which is probably to be expected after 16 pages and several weeks of testing. I feel like I've come a long way!

settings1.png
    settings2.png
    fans.png

The i7-8750H sits at 3.9GHz through any heavy CPU load I can throw at it. In games, it's usually at 4.0GHz given core utilization which surprised me.

I'm kicking myself for a few things. Firstly, the Custom fan curve is SUPER useful. I have been using the "offset" feature for weeks and only just realized I can tune the profile even more with "Custom" profile. So, huge golden nugget there! New scores in signature thanks to more accurate fan curve.

Second, getting rid of TS "PL1, PL2, EDP Other" limits for me has been a mixture of TPL settings and FIVR undervolt. If the Power Plane Limits are not set right, you will see limit flags! With the settings posted here, I can game and benchmark without and red or yellow limits anywhere! Amazing!

Lastly, you may notice my System Agent voltage is not undervolted. At stock settings the System Agent undervolts nicely. However, when you start to overclock the memory it becomes much more sensitive! Since I am running the memory at PC3000 speeds @ 1.35v I have left the System Agent default for stability.

Another area I have tuned is the Windows Power Plan!!! I use the default 'Balanced' plan and tune accordingly under 'Best Performance" Power Mode.

Within Processor Power Management, if you enable the settings via Park Control or regedit, you can very specifically fine tune the CPU. Power duty cycling, autonomous mode, latency sensitivity hint performance, etc etc etc. They all make some difference in how the system and CPU act.

initialize likes this.