PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Better get a graphing tool rather than peak temps to get an idea of where it really sits.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use GPU-Z on my second monitor (along with TS, Limit Reasons, MSi Afterburner ) to watch temps and clocks. There are logging tools if you don't have an additional monitor to observe on. Also, some games that run on Vulkan "freeze" the second screen once fullscreen on your main screen so watching the data is not possible. Doesn't seem to be an issue with DirextX though.

I would see 96C on the factory thermal paste quite quickly. This was in part due to how the OS/BIOS was tuned out of the box. I'm also on NT-H1 now, and undervolted, and see 80-85C peaks while gaming for a few hours. I don't have CS:GO but I do play WWZ and Far Cry: New Dawn which is very demanding. Both on full Ultra, max everything, no V-Sync, G-Sync enabled. The GPU/CPU definitely get worked.

Part of my recent success in temps has been through the rigorous task of undervolting the GPU. Out of everything I've tweaked I feel the MSi Afterburner curve is the most fickle. 0.820v @ 1710MHz is my current undervolt and it scores identically to my initial runs while staying nearly 15C cooler than out of the box. Given the CPU and GPU share at least 1 heat pipe in this model, keeping either component cooler will be beneficial to the other so as not to heatsoak the heatsink.

initialize likes this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    MSI afterburner has a nice graph by default, I match it up with XTU to build a picture.

initialize likes this.
  4. initialize

initialize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For some reason I can’t change the voltage in MSI Afterburner. Even after going into the settings and checking the “unlock voltage” box, I’m still unable to do it...

5. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    If you're referencing the voltage slider in MSi Afterburner it will be locked on the mobile 2070. This is pretty much the case for all mobile graphics. Perhaps through some custom vBIOS or shunt mod you can alter the voltage but that is much beyond the effort I'm willing to put in!

My only method for undervolting the GPU is via the clock/voltage curve. It is really guess and check, I've spent hours moving those damned dots! It is weird to see the factory clocks go beyond 2100MHz, undervolt to 1650MHz, and achieve the same score! I want to run it faster (overclock) but it actually performs slightly better at lower maintained (consistent) clocks and less voltage! All while running cooler...

joluke and initialize like this.
  6. initialize

Reputations:
    Can you do me a huge favor and post a pic of your curve? I’ll try to make mine identical lol.... I apologize in advance if you do, considering you spent so long tweaking it...

7. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I don't mind! If it can help you it can certainly help others as well! I'm also curious to see other curves especially from users scoring higher than me with the 2070! I feel I have a completely average card in terms of performance/overclocking. I'm a little more fond of the CPU in mine ;) But that's just my oddity.

curve.png

I've tried higher but the clocks just seem to magnetize around 1710MHz under DX11 load. DX12 is a bit lower, sometimes fluctuating down to 1590. But it sits mostly exactly at 1695MHz with this curve and max temp around 66C after an hour of FC5: New Dawn all Ultra/Max with G-Sync on. The CPU gets quite toasty into the 80's keeping up!

8. initialize

Reputations:
    Cool thanks!

I just finished Bob of All Trades video on this and I’m confused why he has a bigger “jump” on his curve?

9. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    If I make a "jump" like that in the curve very drastically, then apply and save the profile, ThrottleStop automatically averages the dots and adjusts them throughout that particular srection. I've found the method of gradual changes is not automatically adjusted after saving and seems to hold. Other systems or cards might act differently?

One other thought; that is from 2017 and it might be a different version which did not have the auto adjustment feature that's on the current latest version.

I just finished a 2 hour session of World War Z online with 3 other players and the core clock for the 2070 was 1695MHz 100% of the time! Other applications like benchmarks show fluctuations but this particular game is less demanding. Still, I'm happy with these results :) Given the hundreds of zombies on-screen and big CPU hit I use this game a bit as it's own benchmark and thermal test.

initialize likes this.
  10. initialize

Reputations:
    I clearly don’t know what I’m doing, I’m so dumb when it comes to computers lol.

I made my curve similar to yours, and then I ran 3D mark and got a score just over 1000. I’ll post screen shots tomorrow because I’m on mobile now... ahhh this is so frustrating