PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think I'm going to give ThrottleStop a try for undervolting. I've been using XTU and it seems to be very inconsistent applying the undervolt. In a couple cases, it shows the under volt as being applied, but I see thermal/power throttling. Checking via hwinfo shows that only llc/ring is undervolted, not the core, or vice versa. And sometimes not at all.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've had similar problems with XTU in the past. I do prefer the simplicity of TS and how as soon as I login it applies my profile immediately without fail. Unclewebb has said not to have them both installed on the same system which is advice I personally follow to avoid complications with control.

Papusan likes this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah you don't want conflicts to the firmware on reads and writes like that.

4. initialize

initialize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I think my laptop reached a max of about 85 C last night after about 30 minutes of gaming (Planetside 2), but then remained in the upper 70s after that. Any cause for concern here?

Would it be wise to get a cooling pad and/or cooling vacuum?

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wanted to make a quick update in regards to 155Hz screen overclocking;

I've gamed for a few days at the 155Hz monitor setting with great results other than ONE problem;

During 3DMark CPU test, occasionally the laptop screen would flicker. I was able to repeat this behavior, but only during the CPU stress test. GPU tests all normal. Switching the monitor back to 144Hz fixed this.

In FarCry New Dawn, during only loading screens, the same flicker would randomly happen. During actual gameplay, all was fine.

So despite hours and hours of smooth gameplay and normal desktop usage at 155Hz I'm back to the default 144Hz which does not flicker ever.

The flicker at those two scenarios is unacceptable to me and I am a little paranoid that pushing the monitor to 155Hz long term will somehow wear it out (just paranoid honestly).

That's just my preference. I think 50% of people would not even notice the "flicker" it is so intermittent and specific on CPU/GPU load. For me though, 144Hz is fine and works great :)

I'd say that's right around average for extended load. If you're anywhere in the 70C range without too much fluctuation that's good!

initialize likes this.
  6. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Windows really does prefer multiples of 30. Try an OC of 150 instead of 155.

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    They also tend to scale better for content though 144Hz is the exception for 24FPS content.

8. initialize

Reputations:
    Ok now I really do think I have a temperature problem...

Yesterday I played some Counterstrike and my in-game CPU temperature monitor was reading between upper 70s to mid 80s after only about 10 minutes of play, but it seemed to remain stable around those temperatures.

However, after I was finished playing I checked ThrottleStop and it said my cores reached a max in the mid 90s!

My core is undervolted to -150 and my cache is at -135, and I was playing on High settings.

Do you think I should switch out the thermal paste for something like Kryonaut ( I’m currently using Noctua NH1 or whatever it’s called)?

I’m also getting a cooling pad + vacuum so maybe that will help..

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    How long did they peak there?

10. initialize

Reputations:
    I’m not sure... while I was playing the game I never noticed it reach the 90s, and I was checking the temperature pretty frequently. So I don’t think it peaked there for very long.