PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What is your memory OC? I was able to push mine pretty high (700-1000) and it eeks out a few more points for FS.

2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It’s better to do this using CRU as not all games will recognize custom resolutions set in the Nvidia driver.

4W4K3 likes this.
  3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have tried just about everything from 200MHz to 1200MHz with no real gain in performance beyond +600MHz offset. It's Samsung memory It will run at nearly any value, but the score does not change much regardless of memory speeds for my unit.

In the grand scheme of things the difference in scores is 17.9K to 18.2K roughly. So...1.5%? If I can do math (debatable). I think that's totally acceptable, some cards have a small edge. When it comes to actual gaming, that is a basically imperceptible difference to anything but a machine (and internet forum junkies haha).

Red Line likes this.
  4. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I've only tried Far Cry: New Dawn, World War Z, PUBG, and Astroneer but all have run great! Should I run into any issues in-game I'll give CRU a shot.

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nvidia custom resolution works in games that let you select the display mode inside them, but for games that do not they will default to 144Hz unless you use EDID override (CRU).

Another benefit of using CRU is that it allows you to use DSR also, since Nvidia custom res requires disabling DSR.

6. initialize

initialize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I finally ran a stress test; my cpu hits 82 C and remains there after about 5 minutes on AIDA64. Is this something to worry about?

7. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    Not at all. 82C is very safe, most out of the box will hit mid-90's which concerns me more.

You could try adding a slight + offset to the fan curve to help with cooling.

initialize likes this.
  8. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    New score. I am somewhat pleased. Only somewhat because while it is benchmark stable run after run...it is not game stable. But a valid score is a valid score, after all.

8108TS.png

9. initialize

initialize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cool thanks!

I also tried running the auto scan feature in Afterburner, but my computer shut down once I reached step 3/4. Did I do something wrong? All I did was click on the OC scanner button then hit “scan”.

EDIT disregard, I’ve figured it out

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I would not use auto scanning ocing anyway.