PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It was working before I reinstalled Windows.

EDIT: Okay then, it seems to have fixed itself...

Ayyyy my score in cb r20 went up to 3052. FeelsGoodMan

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    4W4K3 likes this.
  2. initialize

initialize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cinebench score went up to 3098... thank you guys for all the help. I’m proud of myself since I’m a complete noob.

I just ordered a cheap gaming keyboard and mouse on amazon. I’ll finally be able to play some Planetside.... a game I’ve always wanted to play since about 2005 lol

4W4K3 likes this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I think it will do just fine with that game ;)

initialize likes this.
  4. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is your 2070 overclocked at all? If not there is some more points to be had. MSi Afterburner is the most common tool for overclocking currently as it has an "Auto" scan feature that will essentially do the work for you. Clevo's Control Center also has an integrated overclocking app for the GPU.

6. accordion

accordion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When running benchmarks make sure to set the fan to max and lift the laptop. My laptop froze when using the default scanner curve without any undervolting but it could've just been an anomaly. I've been able to flatten the curve to 700mV but with worse benchmark numbers than 800mV. It feels like 800-850mV is the sweet spot depending on your default curve.

7. TheUberMedic

Reputations:
    Yeah it's already OC'd. Got +350mhz on memory and avg of +165 on core using OC Scanner

8. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I haven't been able to complete the OC Scanner for my 1720, it crashes and reboots half way through the second phase.

I tweaked the freq/volt curve a bit with a freq limit of 1740Mhz@ .825 and am able to break 18K on Fire Strike pretty reliably, although my best result was with a manual curve. You can raise one end or the other of the curve by holding shift and dragging the endpoint, effectively flattening or sharpening the curve. I raised the lower end of the curve, effectively overclocking/undervolting more aggressively at the lower frequencies. Doing this with a CPU uv of -0.175 got me a score of 18200: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19741518

9. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I have spent some time tweaking Afterburner always landing within the 17k-17.9k range. I think i have close to 60 FS runs or something ridiculous haha. .850-.950v I’ve tried mostly upping with an offset and then manually flattening the curve with a bit of just tweaking and testing to get the clocks higher where the benchmarks run. I can use the OC Scanner tool for an average of +170MHz core but it also lands in that same range. It has not crashed on me yet while scanning. But, it has on other machines I own and it can be finicky.

Is anyone using any particular/mentionable NV Control Panel settings? It’s possible my card is just going to score slightly lower for some reason (silicon). Doesn’t bother me too badly as it’s a consistent performer in the 17K range and stable which is what I ultimately need. The CPU seems to do a bit better on mine, also probably just luck of the draw there.

I’ll keep testing! :) Glad others are having such good success with this model and the 15” as well.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  10. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    Small update: You can very easily bump the refresh rate from 144Hz to 155Hz in Nvidia Control Panel. Granted, I have not long term tested this and if anything suddenly pops up I'll be sure to update.

I did try 175Hz which failed. I don't like when the screen tears and essentially fails the test (paranoia) so when I found 155Hz to be functional I was content and stopped. If you have one and want to try for 160Hz-165Hz please let us know!

155.png

initialize likes this.