PowerSpec 1720/*Clevo PB70EF-G* tuning!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by 4W4K3, Jun 12, 2019.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wanted to share my experience with this great PowerSpec/Clevo laptop and show anyone interested how I achieved (what I think) is optimum performance for minimum cost out of this chassis. I have been into computers for years but only recently got into laptops and squeezing them performance which is quite fun!!!

On initial purchase I added another 16GB 2666 DDR4 for a total of 32GB dual channel memory.

Using the PowerSpec Control Center I added a +15% offset to the Automatic fan profile for just a bit more airflow without added noise. Awesome feature.

Using ThrottleStop I used every trick I know how in order to fully utilize the CPU. -0.150v core undervolt (-0.135v cache) and -0.100v for everything else. All amperages maxed, Disable & Lock Turbo Power Limits, etc. It's all in the screenshots.

I went ahead and repasted the CPU/GPU with a quality thermal paste (Noctua NT-H1) to lower temperatures. As you can see in the screenshots all the cores are close in temperature which is a sign of a good application. From the factory, cores were 10-12C difference which is not good! A sign of bad thermal application. It's amazing what ThrottleStop can show you...

TS Bench will draw 70W or so maximum with zero power or thermal throttling. A good result.

Cinebench R20 will draw a full 80-81W peak and also NO throttling of any kind! My best score being 3094 so far!

All of my graphics benchmark scores are in my signature with links. Compared to out of the box/factory performance, I think I have raised my scores 15-20% easily! And where the CPU was hitting 96C quickly, now it just barely scratches the surface of 80C on extended load.

*One thing I have not done is undervolt the GPU with MSi Afterburner. I may still do this in the future, but then again I may not. I've used OC Scanner and Afterburner with good success in the past but I have always had issues with overclock profiles not enabling which is annoying to me. The PowerSpec Control Center starts on boot and overclocks the card instantly with zero intervention from me which I enjoy. So far it's been reliable and stable.

FIVR.png TPL.png cinebench3094.png cinebench80w.png tsbench67w.png

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Frencho, Prema, Vasudev and 1 other person like this.
  2. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    Here you can see the factory thermal paste application. Not terrible, but not super good. The paste was a bit tough already and came off in little balls. Nowhere near as nice as the Noctua NT-H1 I used after cleaning that off.

Overall, I am super impressed with the cooling of this model. The heatsink is copper and big! And the fans are powerful enough to actually cool the i7-8750H even paired with the full power RTX 2070.

IMG_0572.jpg IMG_0574.jpg IMG_0575.jpg 2070.png idle.png

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The original paste is designed to be low maintenance and apply the same every time hence it's odd texture.

4. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    It's leaps and bounds better than the paste Acer uses. So I have to give them credit for that! The application was even and correct which is nice to see. I was really most pleased with the thick heatsink design, and overall quality of the build when taking it apart. I like how the M.2 ports have thermal pads making direct contact with the aluminum shell/chassis which cools them. Just nice little details!

5. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I forgot to mention one of the other great features. The BIOS! Insyde, mouse controls!

There are a number of overclocking options to include manual memory timings/XMP, CPU and GPU options, even Intel Optane support.

I don’t have any screenshots yet but if I manage any mentionable memory overclocks I’ll post back. For the moment, i’m Just enjoying it.

6. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    The new GUI for the BIOS setup was a nice touch. Glad to see you enjoying the machine. :)

4W4K3 likes this.
  7. FTW_260

FTW_260 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe you can post some pics?)

4W4K3 likes this.
  8. 4W4K3

Reputations:
    I will attempt to when I’m back from work this evening. The memory overclocking is intimidating for me, but a nice feature for someone who knows what they are doing!

FTW_260 likes this.
  9. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great results! Is the chassis completely plastic? Also, is the panel TN or IPS?

10. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    @Vingard The chassis is plastic, and the panel is AHVA - pretty similar to IPS, just AUO's version of it.