PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I would say the 1710 strictly off personal preference.

Edit, spelling

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you do have the carry capacity then it's a nice set of extra features as well as the larger screen.

Support.2@XOTIC PC likes this.
  3. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, overall very solid offering and capable machine.

4. nealios

nealios Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anybody liquid metal-ed their 1710?
    I would like to, but im hesitant because I don't know how to test if the heatsink sits fully flush with a level contact.
    Also would like to purchase a spare heatsink unit for the inevitable deterioration, anybody know where?

5. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To test for flatness you could use marking blue, "Dykem" is a brand sold retail. Rub a small amount lightly and evenly on the CPU & GPU tighten down a bit and wiggle, where you see blue on the sink is contact.
    Finding a heat sink might not be so easy since it is more than likely designed for that case, or similar ones.
    I would contact a Micro Center repair tech or even Clevo directly to see if obtaining a spare is possible.
    ebay is a possibility as well.

Copper is used for the heat sink mating surface but am not sure if the rest is aluminum.
    I have never used LM but I guess you should not use it on aluminum, also shouldn't the surface be rough so it sticks better?

6. JustK

JustK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used it on my 1510. It worked amazingly. My temps went down considerably. I can't remember what it was exactly, but it was somewhere between a 10C-15C drop. I also undervolted and my CPU temp will not even touch 80 anymore, no matter what games I'm playing.

7. nealios

nealios Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Canonfodder thanks for the info, I'll invest in some and carry out the test. If it shows good contact then I'll most likely give it a go.
    Regarding the rough contact, I've read the contrary, smoothest surface would yield the best results, less imperfections and the heat will travel through less LM onto the heatsink

Looks to me the unit is fully copper, but may be wrong. I'll try and investigate.

@JustK good to hear it's worth it. I just wonder how long till the LM reacts to make the gallium/copper alloy, some guys quote anywhere between 1 -2 years but nothing solid.
    So far I'm running a -0.110mv under volt with FPS locked at 60 on all games. 80c is my max temp, but would like to bring it down further.

Canonfodder likes this.
  8. Canonfodder

Reputations:
    I have not repasted my 1510 but I have set voltage to -.100 and rarely see it hitting 80c, gpu or cpu.
    Also on my system I have "Speed Shift" enabled which probably helps as well.

So I am still not entirely convinced repasting would make enough of a difference under load to even make it worth doing given the size and mass of the heat sink and area of the heat pipe fins only so much heat can be dissipated by it to begin with regardless of the paste used.
    Really it is more of increasing the amount of air over the fins that would make the difference, I also use a good quality cooling pad.

Would be great if someone could produce solid before and after repaste numbers on temps

9. Reckiee

Reckiee Newbie

Reputations:
    The speakers are so low! I can barely even hear Netflix playing when the laptop is directly in front of me. But seriously, does anyone know how to fix the speaker volume or do the speakers just suck?

10. Canonfodder

Reputations:
    Right click on the speaker icon in the lower right part of taskbar and choose playback devices. Click the Realtek high definition audio device and configure as stereo.
    Then double click the same device go to advanced and set as 24 bit, 48000 HZ.
    Go to enhancements after that and scroll down to "Loudness Equalization" click and apply. If you are playing some music or have a movie going in the background you should here a big difference in the sound level.
    You could also try the equalizer and environment settings.
    There is also the Soundblaster thing I have heard that can help but I have not messed with it to much

I rarely use the built in speakers I have headsets and a little Bluetooth sound bar that sits nice behind the keyboard and does not obstruct the screen to much at all and they really put out some good sound and have great volume, got them on Amazon made by Anker