PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think you would be happier with a desktop rig, lots more options and no problem getting good cooling. I have one rig with an 8350 and a 970 that can still crank but I did not feel like building another desktop and needing a new laptop went with the 1510.
    I have heard new GPU's are coming out next year along with new processors already available so I will wait till next year to build a new desktop.
    So far I have been pretty happy with the 1510. But true the cooling is a bit on the weak side but I think that is true of many laptops these days. It has to be pretty difficult to design the smallest system possible with so much power so some compromises have to be made and that means running the chips to there limits.

I noticed in your other post you are running it upside down. I have to tell you that is probably not the best idea since a lot of heat builds up on the keyboard side you should leave it open even on external monitor, definitely get a good quality cooling pad it will make a difference.
    One thing you should definitely do and will not hurt performance at all is undervolt the CPU. Most people seem to get into some kind of competition to see how low they can get the number but for me -.100 works great and the temp drop is quite noticeable and usually stays under 80c

I also use Throttlestop to enable Speed Shift which helps performance for some reason Clevo has not option to enable it so I created a task to enable it on boot.

I have not messed with lowering the GPU frequency's to ultimately lower temps since the 1070 rarely breaks 80c

So compromises have to be made with laptops as long as the games or programs I am running run smooth I am okay with it

2. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    The lid should be open, like Canonfodder mentioned. It will draw air from the vents where the hinges are. By closing the lid, you are covering them.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Also the radiated heat from the cover gets trapped.

4. GrinningColossus

GrinningColossus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just noticed some audio feedback in my headphones at low volumes (less than 10) developed. Not a big deal but probably the same bad signal shielding other users have mentioned.

5. Tuan Hoang

Tuan Hoang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Doesn't heat radiate through the bottom lid better since the heatsinks and heatpipes are closer to the lid than it is to the keyboard deck? Also the vents of all three fans are now not being obstructed, so air pressure will make them draw air straight from there instead of the hinges. That being said, when the laptop is put laying flat, the bottom vents will be blocked/limited, therefore it must draw air through any remaining gaps (this case through the hinges)

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The lid does not really obstruct flow when up, the cushion of air you create between the keyboard and screen acts like a blanket.

7. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As Chastity said raising the bottom a bit or cooling pad will help airflow greatly. And as Meaker@Sager pointed out if you keep the lid closed you are trapping radiant heat, that heat has to go somewhere if it's trapped will raise the overall system temps.

A good example of what is going on is in this review at the 3:20 second point using a FLIR heat scope

8. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just an experience tidbit, ever since switching to RS4, I've had some instabilities due to BSODs occurring. Now that I've actually gotten some minidumps to save properly, I was able to determine that it wasn't drivers, but the CPU. Apparently my -,115v underclock was no longer acceptable, and I dropped it to -.100v which seems to have fixed the crashes (so far). :)

Something to keep in mind for your systems.

ipodman715 likes this.
  9. JustK

JustK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also was only able to achieve system stability at undervolting to a max of -.100v. Anything more and I'd have crashing here and there.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Your absolute values may be different, what is your load value?