PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. abduktedtemplar

abduktedtemplar Newbie

Reputations:
    I've just been reading about many gaming laptops not having a display output that supports a high refresh rate . Want to make sure that's not the case with this one before I buy one .

2. BrinNutz

BrinNutz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It has HDMI and Thunderbolt...I can't imagine it wouldn't but I've not verified.

3. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the 1050.
    Maximum Resolution and refresh rate for the 1070 is 7680x4320 @60Hz. It also has 4 outputs one internal DP to the screen two mini display port and and hdmi.
    I run it through a 50" 4k tv all the time at 60hz and at 1080 at 120hz (it's max) along with having the screen on. So yeah it will handle any monitor you throw at it just like any 1070 card

4. abduktedtemplar

abduktedtemplar Newbie

Reputations:
    I get that the 1070 can handle the display, it's a port limitation in some laptops where the hdmi/display port don't support external monitors at their full resolution or hz. Just wanted confirmation that the hdmi/display ports on the 1510/1710 support an external 2560x1080 144hz display .

5. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well, the HDMI supports 2.0 output, and my mDP port is supporting 4K@60 10bit, so it should very well handle the bandwidth for ultrawide 1080p@144Hz.

abduktedtemplar likes this.
  6. JustK

JustK Newbie

Reputations:

I have found that laptop cooling pads with fans only work well if there are vents on the bottom of the laptop for the air to travel through. My 1510 does not have very much in the way of vents on the bottom, so I modded the case and created my own with my dremel. The only vents are located where the fans are pulling air from, and you definitely don't want the cooling pad fans blowing into your case fans. That will hinder the performance of the case fans. I did this before on my Toshiba Qosmio which was also notorious for poor cooling.

On the 1510, I basically tried to copy the patterns that was already there and extended it outwards to the sides of the laptop, so there is an opening directly under the heatsinks. This way, the fan blows air directly onto it. This worked really well for me on both of the previously mentioned laptops.

If you look in the pic, you can see the heatsink to the CPU underneath the set of vents on the left.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/bmoredjspecialk/IMG_0423.jpg

7. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What kind of temp drop did you note after doing all that?
    It's true a cooling pad would work better with more ventilation but I still find it helps cool the system down overall and as long as I am not thermal throttling I am okay with the temps at this point.
    Both gpu and cpu stay under 80c for the most part at an ambient of 21c.
    I like to mod as well but I am not certain how it would effect the warranty also overheating issues are covered by it.
    That is also why I will not repaste, not to mention I don't think it would really help.
    If it fries I don't want any issues getting a replacement

8. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys - I currently have an omen x 17, within the 30 day return window, with a 7820hk and 1080. I’ve been in the market for some time now, been through an Alienware 17r4 and tinkered with some msi ge73vrs and even gs variants. I saw this post and decided to hit up the local micro center and to my surprise they had these on display in some dark corner behind the Razer pro. It all checked out in person and decided to bring it home and give it a proper testing to see how it stacks up to the omen x.

No surprise the omen x has a much better keyboard (by a lot!) and it feels more premium (the 1710 holds its own quite well in that regard though). Ran it through the usual tests and this is what I found.

Pros:
    - brighter screen
    - bang for the buck is insane!!
    -pretty damn sturdy and premium feeling for what I paid for it.
    -surprised it comes with premium components (Samsung 960 evo, 1070, 7th Gen i7, 75-100hz refresh panel)
    -surprised to see such a compact and light build for such a machine
    -ports galore!
    -not a gargantuan power brick... Seriously the omen brick is literally an 11 inch laptop in itself haha

Cons:
    - not a 7820hk cpu (not this model anyways)
    -louder fans (no whine but just louder overall)
    -a tad of screen bleed but nowhere near as much as the omen!
    -runs a bit hot (max of 88 on benchmarks but not on laptop cooler like the omen x) but once again surprisingly good thermals Vs the omen x which had 88 max as well but with laptop cooler, it was overclocked to 4.2 however.
    -keyboard is good but nothing to write home about
    -screen could be better (120-144hz would be sweet)
    -finicky track pad so far.

Omen x 17 benchmarks:

Firestrike:
    [​IMG]

Heaven :
    [​IMG]

Temps :
    [​IMG]

1710 benchmarks:

Firestrike :
    [​IMG]

Heaven :
    [​IMG]

Temps:
    [​IMG]

Ffxiv- max settings temps:

[​IMG]

I'm technically upgrading from a p670 with a 980m and sold it for a little under 1k and was a able to knock off ~$120 off the microcenter price (1340 with taxes) vs 2100 for a deeply discounted omen x 17. Now I need to decide which one of these if going back haha. I mainly run ffxiv and the 4th Gen i7 and 980m was already Damn near maxing it out... I'm not sure I need the extra firepower the omen x is putting... But that keyboard is amazing. I'm sure I can squeeze out some extra frames and Temps with a re-paste and tune up on the 1710 too.

Edit: Also, anyone figure out a way to remove the branding? I have quite a bit of vinyl wrap but i'd love to remove the "slightly" embossed lid logo since that will show through the wrap. I did it with my Sager but it was just an aluminum sticker.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 1:22 AM
  9. mexeratalayme

mexeratalayme Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Haha you only ran OCCT for 12 seconds

Riktar likes this.
  10. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had stopped it after 25 mins and ran it right away again... Figured you get the idea haha