PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Tuan Hoang

Tuan Hoang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Like this?
    IMG_4525.JPG

2. Tuan Hoang

Reputations:
    No I didn't replace the pads as I feel like there's no need to.
    This 2nd repaste with Kryonaut is pretty good. Before I close the back panel, I boot the laptop up while still leaving it upside down with all the fans exposed. I connect to an external monitor and launch Aida64 extreme, tick stress CPU, Cache and FPU. The temps max at 65°C for the CPU. Then I tick stress GPU. For the first time ever the CPU no longer throttles when put on stress together with the GPU. CPU temp at this moment is 80-90°C, GPU is 80°C

3. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think that is the best to hope for that the CPU and GPU do not thermal throttle under heavy stress.
    Was also curious as to the type of paste used stock to put the system together do you remember what it looked like, color? was it toothpaste : )

4. Tuan Hoang

Reputations:
    It looked like Noctua NT-H1.
    Tbh it wasn't that bad as people say when they think of "stock paste". I replaced the stock with nt-h1 when I first repasted it, the temps were literally the same

5. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    @Tuan Hoang When you do the line, you don't have to go edge to edge. Just a line that covers 2/3 the length of the die will work just fine. The paste at the edges will be squeezed out and wasted.

Tuan Hoang likes this.
  6. jchiffons

jchiffons Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Folks, I just received my PowerSpec 1710 today from an Ebay purchase that was listed as new. I don't have any doubt that it was but I am noticing a specific issue when I try to switch the hybrid graphics to discrete in the BIOS. The system boots fine, the refresh jumps to 75 and even supports 100hz however the system freezes and the display blanks out and throws odd characters. I can sort of remedy (reduce frequency) when I disable the G-sync function. As a fix I've downloaded and installed the latest Intel and Nvidia drivers but it still happens. If I switch back to Hybrid everything works fine with the display. I've emailed Microcenter support with the Serial # for assistance however if I can't find a solution I'm going to file a complaint with Paypal/Ebay as there might be a hardware issue. I'm not confident in this though as it seems more like a driver issue as with the Hybrid setup everything works fine.

7. Canonfodder

Reputations:
    Micro Center only sells those laptops 1710 1510 in store and one per household, afaik so if you bought on ebay is probably used.
    Doubt it is a driver issue sounds like a hardware issue. When you are in discrete mode all video is through the 1070 gpu in hybrid normal video that does not call for the 1070 use the intel graphics. If it were the screen it would happen all the time.
    So it sounds like a 1070 gpu issue.
    Try running a stress test like prime95

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  8. jchiffons

jchiffons Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm starting to agree, fresh install of W-10 loads fine in hybrid but as soon as I switch to discrete graphical errors. The seller is being cool about it they'll issue a refund if Microcenter won't swap it out for a replacement. I'm not going to send it off to repair as that's not worth my time. I have the original receipt now so everything should go smoothly. The odd thing is when it's in hybrid and I loaded Arc Survival the game ran fine using the 1070 in Ultra, but at the native 60hz.

9. Canonfodder

Reputations:
    Did you try hooking up an external monitor and run it at different higher frequencies? could give a clue as to what exactly is going on. Either way though it is definitely a hardware issue related to the 1070.
    I have a 1510 and bought extended warranty from what I gather the warranty's transfers to the new owner so you have a good chance there unless of course Micro Center say it was caused by something the previous owner did whether it be a bad re-paste or overclocking.
    They are pretty good about things but no one will cover damage caused by negligence.
    Kind of curious about the whole deal since PowerSpec is a Micro Center brand and sold by them exclusively.
    So if this is a private party selling it on ebay then technically it would be used and there listing as new would be false etc.
    The seller also stating they will issue refund if MC wont swap out, Huhh!
    I would contact eBay so you can get your money back.
    Contacting Micro Center with some details would probably be a good idea as well

10. jchiffons

jchiffons Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, same issue on external display no matter the frequency. Per M.C website the warranty is transferable so I'll be covered either way, don't think they'll give any trouble. If they say the device was modified then I'll be issued a refund from Ebay as the poster stated it was new in box. I've already been in contact with Paypal/Ebay & User and we're all in agreement I can refund at my request so no worries there.

I'm hoping M.C will swap out, that would be the quick and easy solution. I told the seller if M.C wouldn't swap out then I'd request a refund with Ebay/Paypal to which the seller agreed. So, either way I'm at no risk here, but I'll keep everyone updated if there's interested?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018