PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. MrD1sturbed

MrD1sturbed Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I second what @Chastity said above about the warranty. I just purchased two of the 1710's open box this past weekend and I added a 500GB 960 EVO m.2 to one and a Cruical MX300 m.2 to the other, and I have no fears about the warranty being voided. This is a scare tactic that a lot of resellers use, but it's rarely an issue.

2. zendik

zendik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe so, but I think I'd rather deal with a reseller who doesn't feel the need to use "scare tactics" to extort money out of their customers for unnecessary services (such as for something as brain-dead trivial as SSD installations). If it really doesn't void the warranty and they're lying about it to people, that's even worse than if it did.

3. MrD1sturbed

Reputations:
    Not disagreeing at all. But for the price I paid for mine ($1069 and $1196) I couldn't find a better price/spec laptop anywhere on the market.

4. Tuan Hoang

Tuan Hoang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    holy **** you make me jealous :( I bought mine new $1399 back in November :(

5. CM_11

CM_11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How does one update the BIOS on these?

6. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well, whoever is training these people is lying. When I was shopping for the laptop, I asked about doing hardware upgrades and issues with the warranty, and the store's Repair Manager informed me that it was perfectly fine as long as nothing is broken in the process.

I suggest that if you ever need to send it in for warranty service, remove any and all upgrades. In case they decide to replace the hardware, you won't lose your upgrades. I worked as a Customer Care rep for Asus, and I've had a few cases where customers lost hardware from warranty service because units were replaced, and we shipped them refurbed units. It's not fun trying to trace down 3rd party upgrades, and the subsequent reimbursement.

Also, backup your drives. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  7. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    FYI: Microsoft released the updated KB409000070 with the microcode fix for Spectre/Meltdown yesterday, and includes the Kaby Lake update for our 1710/1510 systems. Works like a charm. You may need to enable Spectre protection in Registry. Using a tool like InSpectre makes it easy. Just run with Admin Rights.

[​IMG]

Get the update here:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4090007 dated 3/13/2018

Thx @Prema for the heads up!

Canonfodder likes this.
  8. MrD1sturbed

Reputations:
    What bag is everyone using to carry the 1710? I’m using an Everki Titan right now, but I’m looking for some other suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Nunya_Bidness

Nunya_Bidness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I prefer satchel/messenger bags. Using one by Brinch. https://www.amazon.com/BRINCH-Style...esktop?_encoding=UTF8&ref=yo_pop_d_pd_t1&th=1

I will say, the laptop fits just right as long as it’s loaded in before the brick and mouse in the interior side pocket and a struggle if not done in that order.

10. Balazar

Balazar Newbie

Reputations:
    How would they know if you opened it unless you told them? Is there a sticker or anything like that? If not, you just yank your extra goodies out before taking it in to claim the warranty.

That vinyl wrap looks awesome! You did a really good job will all of the contours. I would guess that wasn't your first rodeo?

For the outstanding price at Microcenter, as well as the convenience, I think that is the way to go. I will be taking this to work and the red accents are tacky, but I will just live with it. I can throw a second m.2 in for loading games and repaste myself for a few bucks. If there is a dead pixel right out of the box, I can just exchange it.