PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nunya_Bidness likes this.
  2. Chastity

Reputations:
    Well, think about it. for $39.99 I can go to Costco and get a 12pk of compressed air cans. Or for $48, I can get a highly rated blower from Amazon, and never need to buy cans again. Plus I hate it when the can goes dead 2/3 way done cuz it needs to warm up and build up pressure again.

3. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the 1510 as well and did have a bit of annoying light bleed. I got rid of it for the most part since it is caused by the plastic cover surrounding the screen pressing on the panel edges. Starting at the bottom where it says Powerspec I just pulled it out a bit since it is just held in by little plastic catches ( I had none break and was able to securely pop them back in place where needed).
    Anyway I just worked around the panel loosening and flexing and got rid of it for the most part, it's not annoying me anymore or distracting that's for sure.
    Kind of a cheesy design but would probably make changing the panel out real easy
    And yes most panels have a bit to a certain degree.

4. Balazar

Balazar Newbie

Reputations:
    Just for anyone who is interested, I emailed Microcenter asking about pricing on the protection plans and this is what I got:
    The pricing on those plans is kinda high. You can look at what each plan includes on their site.

I want to pull the trigger on this, but I don't like the red accents on the Micro Center version and a 256gb NVMe seems a little small for games. There are a lot of distributors selling this model. Eluktronics, Sager, Xotic, Eurocom, EVOC, Prostar, Schenker, iBuyPower and more. If you are in another country you can probably find a Clevo distributor much closer to home.

Eluktronics PA71HS-G may be the way I decide to go. They include a 1 year basic warranty. You can also customize it when you order. Repaste with liquid metal, and a 120hz 1440p TN panel are options. They are currently running some specials. 90 day no dead pixel guarantee for fee. $100 amazon gift card when you use amazon pay. and several discounts on various storage options including samsung 961 NVMe SSD's. It will definitely be more expensive to go that rout. Microcenter is a steal. On the other hand I can get the config that I want out of the box.

Who has upgraded their storage? Can you run a SATA drive on the second m.2 if you have an NVMe in #1 slot? (on the 1710)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Shop around and compare prices at the level of warranty coverage you are after. Then look at how well people get on with that warranty coverage.

6. Balazar

Balazar Newbie

Reputations:
    I also asked Microcenter about diy upgrades and this was the responce:

7. Nunya_Bidness

Nunya_Bidness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, my warranty is voided then....if true.

8. Nunya_Bidness

Nunya_Bidness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought and installed a WD blue SSD m.2 Sata III 1tb on amazon, wasn't impressed with the performance for loading my games and sent it back. Went with a nvme ssd 500gb (mydigitalssd SBX). But no issues having the Samsung nvme in the first socket and WD blue Sata III in the secondary m.2 socket.

I also didn't care much for the red accent, but it's grown on me. Vinyl wrapping it helped too. I actually had more of a distaste for the Powerspec branding which can still be seen as a raised texture under the chameleon carbon fiber wrap.

[​IMG]

9. zendik

zendik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have until Friday to return my 1510. I'm thinking I might just do that if they're going to be such jerks about DIY upgrades. That's just plain dumb.

10. Chastity

Reputations:
    I've installed a 2nd 960 EVO 500GB w/o issue. Note the 2nd M.2 port runs at NVMe Gen3 x2. I've also replaced my HGST 1TB drive with an Samsung 850 500GB SSD that I had in my desktop, and no longer using.

In regards to voiding the warranty, that is bollox! The unit even comes with a 2nd heatsink pad for adding a 2nd M.2 drive.