PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    @duckneck

1) It's fine to keep the laptop plugged in. Modern systems will not overcharge the battery. You should every couple of months let the battery drain completely.

2) The 1510 with a GTX1070 8GB vs the HP Spectre with a MX150 2GB. The 1510 is a definite upgrade. And there's nothing wrong with the skinny 1710. :p The temps are just fine.

3) The 1510 supports GSync in Discrete mode @ 60Hz. The 1710 supports GSync in Discrete mode @ 75Hz, overclockable to 100Hz.

4) No, do not reverse the airflow on the cooler. You want to create air pressure, not take it away.

5) Using external monitors work just fine with mini-DP to DP cables.

6) There is 1 HDD bay, which contains a standard 1TB HDD. You can remove the HDD and replace it with a SSD if desired. You also have a second NVMe slot which you can add a 2nd NVMe SSD. (I added a 960 EVO 500GB on mine and kept the 1TB HDD) You could use a USB3 to SATA adapter and use the SSD externally too since you don't move it around too much. I also invested in an external 6TB Seagate USB3 drive for storage / backup.

2. duckneck

duckneck Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh so me plugging in a 144 hz monitor to the laptop would have that monitor function at 144, regardless of the laptops native 60 hz cap!? That's awesome.

How would that affect performance/heat/temps though for the 1510? If the game is just on the 144 hz monitor, would temps be murder?

3. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    On my skinny gorilla 1710, I use my system's 100Hz panel, and my temps are still quite reasonable. Just make sure you tip up the back end with something to allow for better underside airflow, or have the unit sit atop a laptop cooler.

BTW, the 1710 has dual fan heatsink for the GPU and works just fine. Just because it's skinny doesn't mean the temps will be horrendous.

And yes, if your monitor is 144Hz capable, then the laptop will do 144Hz over miniDisplayPort/HDMI2.0. If it's GSync capable as well, then use your miniDisplayport connection.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, the mini displayports/HDMI come from the dedicated GPU so you get all of Nvidia's output support on those ports.

5. Reckiee

Reckiee Newbie

Reputations:
    UPDATE: my last post about this laptop was December 20, now that I've been using it for a couple weeks I wanted to give you guys an update.

This thing is a beast. Runs every game I play Witcher 3, PUBG, Fortnite, ARK Survival Evolved, Starcraft, City's Skylines. I can get ~150 fps on ARK and 300 FPS on starcraft. Over 150 fps on pubg too.

- Make sure your laptop is plugged in while gaming
    - FN+1 to turn fans on max
    - If you are having any problems with games download throttlestop and check in the top right that it says you are around 3400 MHz

If you aren't at 3400 MHz then you are either on power saver mode or your max cpu is capped. By the same logic if you want to reduce battery life (especially when not plugged in) you can cap the cpu so it will use less battery.

My temps while gaming range from 50-70 now (was hitting 90-99 before) after a very good tech used team-viewer to remote control my comp and fixed a bunch of the settings. Not exactly sure what he did but I know my comp works like a boss lol. He did it for free but I threw him some $$ because of how much he helped me. His discord is D2ultima#5824 if anyone needs help with this computer he is a genius.

My only remaining complains about this laptop are the volume isn't too loud, the fingerprint scanner works when it wants to, and the charging cable is a bit short. These are all so minor I laugh about how good this laptop is compared to my last one. I still haven't gotten the thermal paste re-applied but I haven't really gone over 70 so I'm very happy. That's without a cooling pad too. I just want to thank everyone who offered me advice and I hope I can give back and help anyone else that just got or is having trouble with this laptop.

10/10 would recommend this beast to anyone.

6. Tuan Hoang

Tuan Hoang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wait...your 1710 has a fingerprint scanner?? Mine doesn't :eek:

7. Axe79

Axe79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is that the 1510 or 1710? And what settings and tools did he use to get those temps?

On my 1510, I undervolted -110, use a laptop cooler, and use the overclock fan profile to get average temps in the 70’s with peaks in the low 80’s.

I mean I’m ok with my current temps, but those sound amazing!

8. Axe79

Reputations:
    Has anyone messed around with the power settings like in the video below? If so, how did it affect performance and temps?

9. Axe79

Reputations:
    Possible stupid question. Do you have to reapply the undervolt everytime you boot up? It shows it in the IXTU when I check it, but I read today that it may not actually be undervolting until you reapply it. Also do you have to keep the IXTU app on for it to undervolt?

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It will reset on an EC reset or detecting a bad restart. Until that happens it does not need to run but will warn you of a settings reset if it does start on boot.