PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    1) On the 1710 the battery is screw mounted, making it easier to remove.

2) In 4 months my 2 yr warranty will expire. Very glad I repasted so early on, as I do leave my laptop running usually 24/7, and with OBSIDIAN-PC's Fan Control, the fans aren't constantly running as hard, helping them to live on longer. Temps are cooler vs original paste job. I also keep the laptop on a cooler to give it elevation.

Also enjoying my OC on the memory modules to DDR4-2666. :)

2. GrinningColossus

GrinningColossus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just bought one of those fancy laptop coolers you put on the side vent to vacuum the air out (someone mentioned one in this thread at some point). I started noticing my undervolted, IC Diamond repasted 1510 still peaking at 99C in this summer weather (to be fair I forgot to FN+1 to max fans before gaming) and it was a few bucks off on prime day. I was sold when I saw a LinusTechTips video (link) where an equivalent clevo chassis was their test unit and it dropped temps by 10+ degrees C. I didn't buy the Micro Center replacement plan at the time sadly but now that I can afford this its the next best thing to prolong my machine (best PC I've ever had and I'd hate to lose it, still need to think of other ways to prolong it and I welcome all suggestions).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Prop the back up for extended sessions an inch.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Silly mobile signal.

5. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Sounds like the pasting needs to be redone. I have summer temps too and I still don't go nowhere near 99C. (More like 83C)

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Also check the pressure looks good by examining the pattern left by the paste when removing the heatsink.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  7. GrinningColossus

Reputations:
    I still need to test with and without max fans if I want to find the optimal cooling, but results of using this opolar vacuum cooler look promising so far. Haven't repasted just yet, not convinced it'll help much (I still need to find some precision tweezers in case something tiny/difficult-to-reattach comes out like last time).

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The Ifixit kit is really good if you want something to work on notebooks.

9. GrinningColossus

Reputations:
    I went through with the repaste, got one of my tech support buddies/coworkers to judge the paste before screwing it back on

I'm using the same IC Diamond I used last time, the difference is I had way too much on last time.
    After I applied some new paste, my buddy told me to cut in half, so I did and this is what I ultimately went with.

https://i.imgur.com/8wnpCPy.mp4 - video in case that picture is unclear

In a quick test temperatures went down a bit, and didn't pass 74 C on the Hitman 2 benchmark or Street Fighter V gameplay. I only ran them a few minutes, though.

Side note, I didn't have any trouble with small wires coming loose this time, so I didn't need the tweezers, but something else that was bugging me was that I wasn't sure if I had to leave the small pieces of tape in there that are meant to hold down wires. I had a few starting to come off, and while I'm not scared of them coming loose and damaging anything, I don't think they're really serving any purpose. It's also hard to judge whether the fan power cables are meant to go above, under, or around the heatsinks. There aren't any clear channels to route them through, so I just tucked them in, as close to how they were as possible.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The tape is just to keep things organised and not pinched by a scew or plastic.