PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It looks like the screw heads are stripped out or close to it. If you have a small set of drivers you could try a flat one. I do that all the time on stripped screw heads, sometimes it works sometimes not

2. JustK

JustK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Agreed on this. Good advice. Sometimes, tiny slotted drivers work better. I've never stripped a phillips screw using a slotted driver. The only downfall is that it's very easy to break off the head of the screwdriver since you are putting so much pressure on the corners of the bit rather than even pressure all the way across like you would on a slotted screw . I've done this a few times when the screws are incredibly tight.

Go for it!

3. nealios

nealios Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What worked for me was placing a rubber band on top of the screw for added grip.
    I had a bunch of different sizes, worked after trialing a few.

4. tekwarp

tekwarp Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright! I tried placing a rubber band and also using a flat-head screwdriver. None of them worked :(

I couldn't find slotted screwdrivers online as well.

I don't know what to do now.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A good electronics repair shop should be able to help.

6. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are dozens of precision screw driver sets on Amazon. The problem is if you manage to get them out you may not be able to tighten them down enough since the heads a stripped out.

You really should bring it to some place like MicroCenter or the as a last resort the Geeks (cant believe I just recommended them lol) or other place like that that may have screws that will work with the sink.
    They may have to drill them out or cut a slot with a Dremel or maybe heat them up if you try yourself you could really wreak it

7. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
  8. tekwarp

tekwarp Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought the 1510 when I was in USA. Now I've been transferred to India, so I live there currently.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Any good hardware stores perhaps that could do the delicate work of recutting the screw?

10. CM_11

CM_11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ended up taking the Dremel to the bottom of the chassis of the 1510 to open up some of the terrible fan grills directly over the cpu and gpu fans. minimal difference if any.

not sure if it's gotten worse as time has gone on, but the air flow and the fan response in these (the 1510 at least) is trash. even with throttlestop, mx-4 repaste, cooling pad, opened up fan ports, and a room that's at 65 degrees F, the damn fans kick in almost constantly no matter what is or isn't happening.

not sure if kryonaut would make any difference, or if risking a liquid metal repaste is worth it. i wonder if any bios updates would do anything with the fan curve settings at all? that might be just wishful thinking, but christ are these things annoying