PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. nealios

nealios Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Chowda289
    Like cannon said above regarding the Intel utility, I used it at first, installed as admin then played with the undervolt and saved the profile. Once it was saved it booted it self up, never had to touch it again.
    But now I've discovered throttle stop, and speed shift enabling. I now use throttle stop.
    Saved my undervolt with the SS enabled, then made a new task in event viewer program. And it is a set and forget. Working great so far.

As for clevo control centre, I set my keyboard to a fixed colour and uninstalled it, not bothered with those features, and CCC doesn't throttle my GPU anymore.

Haven't had a problem with geforce experience, I've so far running update
    391.36 and not problems.
    But when I started to play Fortnite , whenever I got a kill or died a popup would come stating the replay was saved. And gave me massive lag spikes as well as Fram drops with spike in temps. So I uninstalled it. And now I'll just leave it.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can go in and disable certain options like that.

3. GrinningColossus

GrinningColossus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was planning to reinstall CCC and noticed a newish version on Clevo's site (for the 1510) posted 2018/5/29 so I'll give that a try. Last time it only screwed up some minor things.

Edit: re-installation went smoothly, from what I can tell they added a new version of Flexiaccess and nothing else new is noticeable

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  4. Svados

Svados Newbie

Reputations:
    Tried repasting again (followed thread recommendations), but temps haven't changed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Still going into the high 90s in games like GTA V. Running around 80-85C in idle game situations. No warranty

Throttlestop, cooler, max fan, no dust/other obstructions, only game running, room temp 70, and some lowered settings (still ultra/highest for most though), vsync, discrete, idle 43C

Earlier Prime 95 was 87-91 CPU and MSI Kombuster was 77 GPU and 83 GPU. Malwarebytes isn't finding anything either.

Would pictures of the laptop's interior help? :V I wouldn't know if something is really off. Here are some images of Throttlestop in case something is wrong there. I've only undervolted in "CPU Core". https://imgur.com/a/XoMcnLb
    https://imgur.com/a/5p8q4JL

If I just have to settle for lower setting so be it, but I'd like to use the laptop to its potential :I

5. Axe79

Axe79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update on my1510. After four days temps are still looking great. During an intense 3 hour BF1 session yesterday, CPU temps maxed out at 73. Average was 68. GPU was even better sitting in the mid 50s.

I tested it while charging the battery and it added about 5 degrees on average, which isn’t too bad.

So in conclusion(I hope!!), I lowered my temps 10 degrees by disabling GeForce in game overlay and playing on a fully charged laptop.

Hope this helps someone else.

6. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What brand of paste you use? I personally think really thick paste is not suitable for the heat sink since you cannot really put to much pressure on it and are likely to get bubbles, plausible anyway.
    The whole idea of paste is to go with as little as you can just enough to fill the small gaps and pores in the sink to the CPU GPU surface for maximum heat transfer.
    So it may be as simple as a bad paste job or perhaps one of your fans is not working proper

7. Svados

Svados Newbie

Reputations:
    kryonaut. One of the two smaller fans feels like it may not be pushing out as much air, but I'm not really sure. Together they feel stronger than the larger fan

8. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just to bust a couple of myths here:

Using ICD7 as an example, this thick paste does not remain so dense when it warms, so when first applied it will allow itself to spread and mold to the surfaces. If you ever warmed it in the tube before applying, you would note it gets much easier to spread, but it cools very quickly.

Also, the thickness of the paste MAY be detrimental to performance. Some pastes do not suffer thermal transfer reduction from this. AS5 is notorious for having this issue. ICD7 does not.

9. tekwarp

tekwarp Newbie

Reputations:
    So I tried to repaste today. Got a new screwdriver set and used a Philips head #1 but I just can't seem to open the bottom two screws of the CPU heatsink,no matter how hard I push; they just don't move.I have attached a picture, the bottom two screws are a little bit stripped I suppose.
    IMG_20180710_175953-02.jpeg
    Can any one give me a link of which screwdriver they used to open their 1510's heatsink?
    Thanks

10. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think it's a myth most people do not apply paste correctly regardless of the type and that some misunderstand more in this case is usually not better since there is no better heat transfer than metal to metal or metal to silicon with no gaps

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018