PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. GrinningColossus

GrinningColossus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Only issue with that fix is I've gotten it twice before I undervolted :)
    It happens too infrequently for me to test the root cause, maybe there's a sudden spike in power being drawn that causes it, because 99.9% of the time this thing is stable.

2. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The way I am looking at it is when the next gen graphics chips come out (maybe this year) and I am done paying for the PowerSpec I have now I will sell this one and get a next gen, I don't know if they are going to make anymore Clevo PowerSpecs though so may be another brand.
    Or maybe I will find a purpose for the PS and keep it lol, I like to have my options and is why I baby the PS

3. Axe79

Axe79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK, temps went back up to 80 average so I think the undervolts were not the issue. Last night I thought, what if it’s the battery charging? Batteries get hot when they charge. It makes sense it would heat everything else up. I usually keep my system unplugged when not in use. I tested my theory yesterday by keeping it plugged in all day and my temps were down by 10c. I was trying to preserve battery life, but screw it, I’d rather have better temps. I’ll keep testing it the rest of the week to make sure that was the cause.

4. Canonfodder

Reputations:
    That does make sense would be easy enough to test using a Multi-meter with temp probe you would have to crack the case and tape the probe tip to it, if there is a temp sensor on the bat you cant access it directly.
    You can get meters for under $30
    Mine is usually always plugged in so it is just trickle charges the battery to full charge and probably does not generate much heat.

I would guess that level that it charges to is 100% but it is a fact if you charge the battery at less than that like say 80% you will prolong it's life significantly, with phones there are apps that tell you when to unplug.
    So even though you are trying to prolong it might not be helping at all

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The heat would be a big factor too, it's better to charge when the rest of the system is cool.

6. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @nealios I keep forgetting to reload my undervolt profile on Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility. Do you use that? If so, how do you get the profile to always load on it's own? I have it set to -.120V

@cannonfodder Yeah, I'm running GEFORCE experience. I always click to do a clean install when a new driver comes out. However...maybe, I should revert back to 398.10?

I discovered that my touch pad had turned back on, so I turned it off again. I use a wireless mouse, so it's not an issue. Also, another thread suggested to disable Windows broadcast. Since doing both of these things, I haven't had the error...yet. I'll try to remember to always undervolt, too.

I guess I'll keep a close eye on it. If it happens again, I'll either try to roll back to the older driver or try this registry fix: http://forum.notebookreview.com/goto/post?id=10235938#post-10235938

Canonfodder likes this.
  7. Axe79

Axe79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Temps came back up again to the 80s so that wasn’t it. Then today I noticed something I forgot was even there. GeForce experience in game overlay. I disabled it and temps dropped immediately. Going to test it a few days to make sure. But I’ll feel pretty dumb if that was it all along.

Canonfodder likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It does use some resources to help cache for replay capture and the like.

9. Canonfodder

Reputations:
    @Axe79 I would say that is a pretty good indicator you found a cause of the problem but may be other things going on as well like the battery, who would expect geforce experience to effect performance?

I mentioned it to Chowda289 since he was getting popups during game play. I never found it very useful so rarely use it.

10. Canonfodder

Reputations:
    ETU starts as a service and if you save the under-volt profile it should load at boot time. As mentioned before you should install and run it as Admin.
    I always choose custom install when doing a driver update so I uncheck Geforce experience along with all the 3D stuff I rarely use Geforce experience but I seem to remember having popups that stopped after uninstalling it, you can also do a clean install that way.
    Maybe I will give updating a try after backing up my system I am still running 391.01 and everything runs great so kind of pointless.

I did note something new (fairly new) on the nVidia site warning people to set a restore point before doing a driver update. To me that says they are aware a lot of people are having update issues, clean install or not.

As I posted previously I did not uninstall CCC I just stopped it from starting boot time. CCC has a main service called "Powerbios" which still runs at boot even though you stopped Control Center from running. The keyboard still works this way but if you need to customize the colors etc. you have to run the keyboard program, or you could just set that to start with windows.

The headphones also work perfectly. CCC is a big hit on startup performance and to tell the truth is kind of buggy so I basically don't bother with it since any settings I need to change I can do manually.

Thanks for the link will check it out