PowerSpec 1710 + 1510?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by B0B, Oct 13, 2017.

1. lethalasian

lethalasian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So on idle my power spec 1510 is getting 80 cpu and 70 gpu right now. The laptop is on a bed but i'm literally running this website and its so hot. This should not be normal... should i contact Microcenter?

2. Canonfodder

Canonfodder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That CPU is running warm but if the cooling were really bad it would hit throttle temp which is around 100c the max operating temp, the GPU max temp is 90c
    So I would wonder if the fans were hitting the proper rpm's which oddly enough going by CCC you can only set up to 80%
    Not really sure what the rpm's should hit so cant help there

I would also make certain there were no obstructions in any of the heat sink fins.

When looking over my 1510 back when I first got it I found there was a shred of paper or plastic in the CPU heat sink fan, I also found a couple of the sink screws were not tightened all the way down.

There as you know not really a lot of heat sink to begin with so it would take much to effect temps

If you check the sink screws do use the right screwdrivers I think they are JIS type so if you use a regular Phillips you could strip them out

3. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Using it on a bed will choke off the vents on the underside. Use a cooler underneath it when using it on a bed to allow for proper airflow.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Or at least something like a tray.

5. lethalasian

lethalasian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what CPU paste do you recommend? I have my laptop on top of a cooling pad and undervolted and when playing fornite my cpu is hitting 96

6. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    @lethalasian

For laptops, I assume the heatsinks are less than optimal, in any maker's models. Inadequate pressure to die, spacing, etc. Thus I recommend using a thick paste that is nonconductive, like ICD7 or Gelid. Some thermal pastes lose thermal transfer capacity if they are applied too thick, but the two I mentioned do not have this issue.

So they are ideal for less than ideal heatsink applications.

If you search my replies in this thread, I discussed my results after an ICD7 repaste.

EDIT: Found the post, I'll add it here:

So I was looking at a 14C drop in temps after repasting.​

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  7. Canonfodder

Reputations:
    I would put it on a board or tray and use a cooling pad. I would also get some cans of duster because it probably is or will be full of dust and fibers which will clog the fans and sink fins, not to mention the rest of the machine like the screen and keyboard which attracts dust like a magnet.
    With the size of the sink it will not take much to effect the cooling efficiency either way so re-pasting done right would also probably help.

8. Nunya_Bidness

Nunya_Bidness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ever since the last Win update, Control Center is working incorrectly. Especially the fan feature, manual selecting Maximum fan settings goes unresponsive. Often time to remedy this, I'll need to shift+shutdown and it will work as it should for the duration of the day. But eventually, Control Center may become unresponsive and needs to end task to reopen it. Turning off the touch pad too, becomes intermittently responsive. Any ideas, is there a patch, update to CC?

Also, I've re-pasted three times with Grizzly Kryonaut and I regret it. Previously, with max fan running and on a cooler, I didn't get temps pass 79c on my game of choice (World of Tanks ultra settings). Now I'm getting 88c. I've tried thin coat spreading with a card to prevent bubbles, the pea method, and just a single row. Producing all the same results.

Anyone know what the stock thermal paste possibly was? (Yes, I know temps are still well within acceptable tolerance, but as far as I'm concerned I initiated a downgrade in results that I'm sure no one here would tolerate.)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  9. nealios

nealios Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Guys

I bought a 970 evo m.2 nvme to stick inside my 1710, but neither boxes came with any screw or thermal pad or anything

Anyone have an idea of what size of screw I need?

And if I need a heatsink for it, or just stick it in as is?

I've also been running kryonaut for the last 4months max 80c at any point while gaming. But im tempted to repasted with phobya nanogrease while I have it open, any thoughts? Worth the Hassel?

10. Canonfodder

Reputations:
    Hopefully you saved your packaging and literature. In the manual package there is a thermal pad and some small screws that are just for that.
    As for re-pasting all I can say is if it ain't broke don't fix it just one more chance to have something go wrong, I am running the stock paste and temps are good