Powers Off Mid Game/Under Load. Possible Dead GPU? (AW 17 R1, GTX780m)

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SteveMonk, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Narkoleptik

Narkoleptik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is interesting because I'm having EXACTLY the same issue, but with a 970m instead. Everything you've done I've done too, short of just replacing the card, I had my old 180w (I think) PSU for the laptop that came with an 860m and it kept the 970m in the 2nd highest power state (P1 instead of P0) when running anything graphic intensive, but it still shut down a couple times using that instead. It also only started about 2 - 3 weeks ago. I'm looking at getting a hold of my old 860m and testing it with that installed.

2. SteveMonk

SteveMonk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's the only thing I've not tried, my gpu in another machine or another 100% working gpu in my machine. It's become super frustrating because I have no easy way of figuring it out without buying a whole new card. I even restorted to calling Dell earlier in the week and the guy dialed in and figured it's most likely a dead gpu as well. Out of sheer curiosity I asked him how much a replacement 780m from them would cost. I almost fell off my chair when he said £720

It would be great to hear your results if you are able to test your old card in your machine

3. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This should be an absolute LAST case option. When my 780m died Dell sent me two cards to replace it with both of which were DOA or also on their way out. My work buddy also had a DOA card when his 780m went. I doubt very much there are any new 780m's kicking around and I suspect everything they still have stock on is refurb or returns and unless your depot is any better then ours, their testing procedures with hardware are non existent.

If your going to repalce the GPU there are much better options, such as 970m or 980m, or even a 1060.

4. SteveMonk

Reputations:
    I wouldn't dream of paying so much. I'd upgrade to a 980m from a reseller before going anywhere near Dell for a replacement

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  5. SteveMonk

Reputations:
    After all the testing including new PSU's, a DOA 880m and many many more things I finally have my AW17 R1 back up and running. The fix was a replacement 780m GPU. Luckily I was able to find a clevo one in good condition at a very reasonable price on ebay. Cleaned and fitted this morning and so far so good. I've run it through a bunch of stress tests along with a day of gaming and no crashes. So touch wood it will last me a little while.

Thanks to everyone who helped out in this thread, great bunch of guys

MickyD1234 likes this.
  6. Narkoleptik

Narkoleptik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wasn't able to get a hold of my old 860, but I have been able to use my 970 in my laptop by modding the GPU fan to be 100% on at all times and keeping my GPU throttled to the P1 powerstate instead of P0 powerstate until I can get another 970 or go back to the 860.

7. DeTaZu

DeTaZu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm having the same problem , my question is that if I have to change the graphics card, can I update it to the 780M? or buy a more current and compatible one?. I have an Alienware 17, GTX 770M

8. Raja@007

Raja@007 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I'm facing similar problem with my alienware 18 2014 version. But when I reinstall the game it is working fine for a days or two and later starting to give trouble. Either gets off and ONs agian or stays blank for us to start again.

9. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You guys should really make new threads.