Powers Off Mid Game/Under Load. Possible Dead GPU? (AW 17 R1, GTX780m)

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SteveMonk, Apr 4, 2017.

1. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks, strangely I have seen many 580m/675m's fail partially. One of mine started to randomly BSOD. It got worse and worse until I could only start the machine in safe mode. Dell sent a replacement GPU, problem solved. Having two 580m's fail in my R3 both times it looked like a software issue but after a ton of messing, a replacement card fixed it - for about 4 months and went again. R4/675, more GPU issues and replaced 675m. Of course you have to think it's something I am doing but I have seen literally dozens of that GPU die. Anyone that overclocks them gets the failure faster - so I stopped OC'ing after the first card failure.
    I replaced the 675m with a 680m and that card is solid, overvolted and overclocked it never exceeds 74c.

2. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have seen so many 780m's die in the last 6 months to a year... Mine went last October, followed by my work colleagues shortly after and multiple 780m's here on NBR and on Reddit....it's like they hit they end of their life expectancy or something and are dying off in droves.

I would remove the GPU from the system and power up the laptop and make sure the problem goes away. If it does, then you can put the GPU back in and see if the problem returns. At least that way you can narrow it down to GPU and or power.

MickyD1234 likes this.
  3. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    @MogRules
    Yeah, I saw the same with the 580m/675m. It seems they 'burn-in' and then a driver update triggers all sorts of problems. Of course, you get all the conspiracy freaks saying it's designed in!

Usually by the time a sufferer posts they will have gone through a nightmare chasing a software issue.

For this one it only happens in-game on the NV, and the PSU is not tripping out so I'm looking hard at the GPU.

MogRules likes this.
  4. SteveMonk

SteveMonk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for the late replies guys, work has been mental so i've not had chance to try anymore troubleshooting on the 780. However the new GPU (which I got cheap and is the only reason I went for the 880 over the 780) and the PSU are turning up today so I'll be able to try a bunch of stuff this weekend to figure out whats going on.

Thanks again for all the replies, i'll give all suggestions a shot and post my results

MickyD1234 likes this.
  5. SteveMonk

Reputations:
    Hi guys, so its been a mega busy couple of weeks but I've finally got around to trying a few more things. First off the 880m was a bust, DOA when it turned up so that got fired straight back. Second, I've purchased 2 PSU's so far, both of which haven't been the correct part even though the listings have showed them as such (its a nightmare to find a PSU in the UK!!!) so im still stuck at square one.

I've checked the clock speeds whilst in-game/running heaven; core clock 849mhz and memory clock 2497mhz. Temps are holding firm at between 70 and 75. The laptop will cut out randomly still and there is no consistency. It can be within a minute or after 5-10 minutes. Temps are also inconsistent when it powers off as its cut out many times at 60-65 and other times in the low 70's. When it worked for those few precious minutes of testing it runs exactly as normal, no frame drops, stutters or slowdowns then it will just power off.

If I run the machine off the battery it obviously drops the core and memory clocks to slow down power drain. Running a game or heaven in this state causes no crashes what so ever. Because of this i've also tried underclocking the card using MSI Afterburner but it still results in a crash and with the stock BIOS it only allows for a slight under/overclock.

I welcome any fresh ideas... would a moded VBIOS be worth a try? I also still want to try a new PSU but finding the right one is becoming a nightmare

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you try what @MogRules suggested?
    Assuming you have the 60hz display you could remove the 780m and run using the Integrated gpu.

7. SteveMonk

Reputations:
    Sorry yeah I should have mentioned that. Works fine without the GPU installed running on integrated graphics. Problem comes back when GPU is refitted

8. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    Yeah that does not help since the power draw without the 780m will be so low.

I've bought a couple of genuine PSU's from ebay, just check for OEM parts.

9. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    Regardless of how low your core temperature is, maybe some other part on the card is getting hot. Try to check the pad arrangement and make sure every part on the card is making proper contact with the heatsink.

As for PSU, there is a supplier here in Germany called mtXtec, whom I bought a new PSU from for 60 euros at the time. You can see if they deliver to the UK.

Posting on Amazon for someone selling their PSUs

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B01CMF76NE/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10. SteveMonk

Reputations:
    Another quick update. I eventually got a new working PSU which didn't rectify the problem. I spent some time at the weekend tearing down the laptop and trying various things with no luck. Tried removing the original RAM and replacing with a brand new 8gb stick. I checked the placement of the thermal pads as suggested by @MahmoudDewy all of which look to have good contact. Also tried a powered cooling pad which reduced the GPU temp by a further 10-15 degrees but still having the same crashes at intermittent points while under load.... It even managed to run heaven for over 15 minutes at one point before cutting out but most other times it can die within 10-20 seconds from a cold start.

Sooooo what to do next... well I figure the only things it can be are the GPU or the mainboard, however I doubt its going to be the mainboard simply because there are absolutely no other issues with the machine and no cut outs with the GPU removed. Do you think its worth contacting Dell? Its 3 year warranty ran out last July so i very much doubt they will help and if they do it will prove to be very costly.

Can anyone recommend a UK based seller as the only ones I can currently find are on eBay and i've had very little luck on there recently

Thanks again guys