Powernotebooks.com Out of Business Today - No Laptop, No Refund!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by ScubaSteveO69, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Not like Meaker had special permissions before, I think. They never added a "company representative" tag since Xenforo.
    Entirely off topic, but why a Sager? I would likely suggest Clevo almost no matter what someone's desires in a laptop are (excepting those who would bank on eGPU solutions heavily etc) but what about a Mythlogic or Eurocom? Is it a matter of cost?

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  2. i_pk_pjers_i

i_pk_pjers_i Even the ppl who never frown eventually break down

Reputations:
    I think it's because people don't know about resellers like Mythlogic or Eurocom. I found Eurocom by accident once when I was looking to buy a Clevo laptop, bit the bullet and decided to order from them and I was so glad I did. I knew about the really popular resellers like Pro-Star and XoticPC but none of them offered 120 Hz screens, only Eurocom did. :D

3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Maybe. I'm just curious though.

4. pianoplayer88key

pianoplayer88key Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Now I'm glad I didn't buy from them, although they were one of the first I was considering. I hope everything is resolved well for everyone affected, and wish the owners well in the future. I think the main reason I didn't buy from them was I couldn't get more of a barebones unit, or at least get a lower-end CPU. I ended up buying a Clevo from another seller, and put in a Core i3 purchased from a major online computer retailer.
    Anyway, I got a couple issues with my Clevo, for example backlight brightness keys not working, WiFi not working unless within 0.1 meter of the router's antenna, maybe 1 or 2 other things, but this thread is probably not the place to go into detail. If/when I get around to it I may post another thread. (I am planning to make a couple upgrades in the next few months which may hopefully solve a few other things.)

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Never a good thing to see a company close up shop, especially one as highly regarded as PNB. Though not recently, my family and I did purchase a couple systems from them, one of which is still going strong today.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  6. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Extremely unprofessional though, and dishonest. They clearly knew what was going to happen, yet they continued to take orders (and people's money) as if all was well.

Their communications have clearly stated they will not be fulfilling orders, nor refunding anybody's money.

7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm seeing that now and have edited my post. I don't understand why they wouldn't just refund people, since I have to think it would cost them more to bring credit card companies into the mix.

Regardless, that's shady as heck. Folks with credit cards hopefully won't have too much of a problem, especially when you present them with evidence that the company has no intention of fulfilling the order, and their website is for all intents and purposes shut down. But anyone who paid by cash or check? Who knows what recourse they might have?

RMPG505 and i_pk_pjers_i like this.
  8. ScubaSteveO69

ScubaSteveO69 Newbie

Reputations:
    I was contacted today by a Sager rep. Very happy to see that Sager is trying to assist in this situation. I will most likely deal directly with Sager after retrieving my funds. I did file a complaint with the FTC last night as well and encourage everyone else affected to do the same. I spoke to both Donald and his wife on the phone on January 5th several times. We talked about good business practices and the personal attention you get from a smaller family owned American business. They had to know that they were closing the whole time they were talking with me. This was flat out deception to take peoples money before they filed bankruptcy. I do not know what their situation is exactly, but to flat out steal peoples money like this is criminal and I hope it is investigated.

i_pk_pjers_i and Ultra Male like this.
  9. Sager

Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    We wanted to respond to the unexpected bankruptcy of powernotebooks.com. This development took us as much by surprise as you. We found out through the same E-Mail that was send by Powernotebooks to customers, and were finally contacted by Powernotebooks later in the day. They have given us what they represent as a list of unpaid pending orders. We are going to reach out to the individuals on the list, but given the circumstances, we are obviously concerned it may not be complete. If you were affected, please contact us at frank@sagernotebooks.com or call via one of our toll free: (800) 669-1624 Tel: (626) 964-8682 and have a receipt or proof of purchase ready. While we will not be able to issue refunds for units we did not sell, we do want to help customers who are affected, and will offer a discount to those who were affected.

We advise those of you who are affected to quickly contact your credit card company or service you used for payment (e.g., PayPal) and dispute the charge. As with all units, we will honor Sager warranties for laptops resold through PowerNotebooks.

Below is an FAQ put together our friend SagerTwitter who manages our unofficial social media accounts.

Will you offer refunds for my order?

"Unfortunately, Powernotebooks was a third party reseller, as are all of our resellers. We do not receive payment unless an order is made by the reseller. Therefore, we cannot refund an order that was not made through us. However, we are offering a discount to those affected. Contact us via one of our numbers,Toll Free: (800) 669-1624 Tel: (626) 964-8682 or email frank@sagernotebooks.com and ask for support on suspended Powernotebooks orders. Please have a receipt or proof of purchase ready. We will confirm whether the order was received or not and discuss how much we can discount from there. We also recommend getting a charge dispute in order before calling us. Look at the question below for more details."

I placed an order with Powernotebooks and now I've lost money. What can I do?

"Dispute your charges as soon as possible with whatever method of payment you used to pay for the order (i.e. If you paid by card, talk to your card distributor, Paypal, talk to Paypal, etc.). We also recommend taking up a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), found here to make the FTC aware of the situation. This may also help in recovering your funds, but there is no guarantee."

Did you know about this?
    "Nope! We found out at the same time as everyone else and were just as surprised."

Will you be honoring my warranty that I had with my Powernotebooks Sager order?
    "If you bought your Sager laptop from Powernotebooks, the warranty should be a Sager warranty, so we will honor that. We are not aware of any extended warranties offered by Powernotebooks themselves for Sager notebooks besides our own. If you have questions about your warranty, contact us via phone"

Why did Powernotebooks close?
    "They have stated that their owners are suffering from health problems due to the job and age, so they decided to close their doors."

alienowl, sa7ina, BlackSabs and 12 others like this.
  10. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    If this ain't called scamming, I don't know what this is... They knew they were going out of business and still took people's money! I hope nobody loses out from this! My prayers with all of you!

transphasic and i_pk_pjers_i like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.