Powerful, light and silent audio workstation - Precision, Thinkpad, other?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by nesdnuma, Sep 1, 2019.

1. nesdnuma

nesdnuma Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello,

I want to buy a new workstation. I've been travelling with a Clevo P775DM3-G for two years and it's definitely too heavy for my shoulders, as well as too noisy and a bit low on the battery duration.

My main purpose is live sound, with live synthesis and processing. So I want a fast CPU (i7 xxxxHK) but I am not into gaming at all I don't need a powerful GPU. Especially I want a reasonably silent and light computer (max. 3kg with power adapter included). The quest for a light computer pushes me towards a 15.6" laptop instead of a 17.3". I want two HD drives and at least three hours of battery life.

Powerful computers without hungry GPUs seem to be found mostly in Lenovo Thinkpad or Dell Precision ranges. Models I have in mind: Thinkpad P52, ThinkpadX1 Extreme (1st gen), Thinkpad P1 (1st gen), Precision 5530, Precision 5540, Precision 7530, Precision 7540.

However, I would like to know which models (with the specific CPU) among these ones do not involve annoying fans kicking in too quickly and noise levels remaining acceptable at higher loads, without throttling. Thin models like X1 Extreme and P1 seem to be more sensitive to such issues (latest BIOS updates on X1 Extreme seem to have worsened the situation). What is your personal experience?

Would you rather choose alternative ranges/models?

Thank you for helping.