Powerful and compact business laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by DuffMcShank, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh I didn't say that it's flimsy at all. I'm just saying that it's not built to the same standards as a business notebook (which are designed to be abused since fleet notebooks tend to suffer from due to the whole "rental car" mentality).

2. ananas

ananas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    http://us.vaio.com/vaio-z-flip

Does this not look like a business notebook to you?

3. Krowe

Reputations:
    Look like =/= actually is. Just because some model in a suit has it in his hand doesn't mean it actually is a business notebook, and does it actually mention the word business anywhere on the page?
    Also, business notebooks are advertised with business related features, like TPM, portability, durability, service and support etc.
    Sony was never a noticeable player in the business notebook segment (unlike panasonic), I don't expect them to start now.

4. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well, I'd say that Dell went full retard with their keyboard layouts this generation regardless of the model. They should have kept their old Latitude and Precision keyboards, at least they had dedicated home, pg up, etc. keys...

5. Krowe

Reputations:
    That one I can definitely agree with. There's also the fact that now you have to disassemble the entire machine to get at the keyboard for a replacement. Do they not know how careless office people are? Coffee spills and destroyed keyboard is almost a monthly thing (if not bi-weekly) and I don't really want to spend 45 minutes replacing somebody's keyboard when the main IT guys are troubleshooting server issues or doing whatever farm related stuff they do all day.

6. DuffMcShank

DuffMcShank Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I finally got the XPS 15 machine this week, and I'm mostly happy, but I'm disappointed by the flimsy feel of the keyboard. My old XPS 12 keyboard is heaven (apart from dedicated missing home/end/page up/page down), but this keyboard is generally flimsy, and only the upper half of the enter key registers a key press. Really annoying.

I'm considering registring a complaint with Dell, but not sure if it's a design fault or a manufacturing one.

Btw. the screen (1080P matte) was set up with 125% scaling for some reason, and the cleartype wasn't tuned. It looked really horrible, so I got concerned for a while before i figured out it was set to scale. In 100% scaling it looks good, only slight backlight bleeding from a small point to the upper left when fully black.
    Strange that they use this setup as default.

7. Krowe

Reputations:
    XPS has a metal frame... It shouldn't be flimsy at all. Sounds like someone on the assembly line forgot a screw...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.