Power Jack (DC Power Jack, or DC Jack) Broken

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by the_asus_guy, Oct 5, 2011.

1. the_asus_guy

the_asus_guy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! There were times when I looked at my completely disassembled heap of laptop parts and unremovable DC jack that gave me pause, and thought, "what the heck did you get yourself into?!?"

Do you have a link to this "Storm Cooler cable" so I can look at it? I DO NOT want this to happen again (although, should be easier to take out now that it's no longer a factory weld :) ).

2. Yiddo

Yiddo Believe, Achieve, Receive

Reputations:
    Sorry chap I should have made myself clearer I meant the cable that runs from my beastly Storm SF-19 Laptop cooler, they both connect at the right hand side in line with each other so to stop movement I just used wire ties to connect them together all the way to the plug. :) Its an amazing cooler though if you were interested I like to use my laptop on my bed so it makes sure there is plenty of clearance. Comes with two big bugger 120mm fans with upto 2700rpm fan speed, 4USB ports and multicolour lighting facility. G73 sits perfectly on top.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. the_asus_guy

Reputations:
    Trust me, I used all the tricks of the trade (although knowing how to correctly use the tricks is a different story). I probably went through a foot or more of the stuff, and, yes, I fluxed it first. Just need more practice at it!

The desoldering iron was used to get the easy stuff off, then moved to the braid, then moved back to the desoldering iron (double soldering irons) to get the last bit of solder out of the socket holes.

I bet I can do it in under five hours next time! LOL!

Awesome picture! It's as if it's made just for the G73/74. Since I use mine in the same manner (although just to finish emails or listen to music before sleeping), I might have to pony up some cheddar to buy this thing, if I didn't blow my wad already on soldering irons, desoldering irons, soldering torches, soldering braids, solder, etc. {grin}

4. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:
    Glad you pulled it off +1 Rep

5. the_asus_guy

Reputations:
    Thank you very much! You're awesome!

6. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
  7. paten

paten Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you buy one of these the_asus_guy, buy one for me too. I'll pay you back.