Power issue on an NP9150

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by dogcat, Oct 9, 2018.

  1. Meaker@Sager

    Meaker@Sager Company Representative

    Reputations:
    7,520
    Messages:
    47,217
    Likes Received:
    12,744
    Trophy Points:
    931
    Sounds like a coincidence, have you heavily loaded the system since?
     
  2. dogcat

    dogcat Notebook Enthusiast

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    6
    No load. I did leave Steam, Thunderbird, and Mozilla open. At some time between now and my previous post my computer stopped drawing enough power from the power supply and shut off.

    I guess the current theory is the power supply can provide enough current at 19 V to slowly charge the battery, but not enough to keep the computer running.
     
  3. Meaker@Sager

    Meaker@Sager Company Representative

    Reputations:
    7,520
    Messages:
    47,217
    Likes Received:
    12,744
    Trophy Points:
    931
    Sounds like the brick then, it's common that a failed brick no load it will show 19V then dip as it's loaded.
     
  4. dogcat

    dogcat Notebook Enthusiast

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    6
    The new power supply was delivered today. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem.

    I’m unsure where to go from here.
     
  5. dogcat

    dogcat Notebook Enthusiast

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    6
    If I take out the battery, the left power indicator light goes out as expected. The right stays orange. If I try to power it on without the battery, the right indicator light flicks off the computer fails to start up and the right little clicks back on. This is with the new power supply.

    I should receive a new battery tomorrow, the computer will run off of battery power, and when the computer is off the battery will be recharged.

    Are there things that I should test under battery power?
     
  6. Meaker@Sager

    Meaker@Sager Company Representative

    Reputations:
    7,520
    Messages:
    47,217
    Likes Received:
    12,744
    Trophy Points:
    931
    Then it will be the motherboard power circuitry, this ranges from a cracked pin/pad on the input to a bad chip.
     
  7. dogcat

    dogcat Notebook Enthusiast

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    6
    I was hoping the new battery would help my computer limp on allowing me to better troubleshoot the problem. Turns out my computer will not change it up. There is a faint buzz near the battery and the power lights blink when plugged in and powered off.

    I contacted the seller to see what type of ac adapter jack the NP9150 requires, now i’m hoping that’s the problem as it might be within my ability to fix. Is that what you were referring to with al”a cracked pin/pad on the input?

    Any other suggestions of where to go from here?
     
  8. Meaker@Sager

    Meaker@Sager Company Representative

    Reputations:
    7,520
    Messages:
    47,217
    Likes Received:
    12,744
    Trophy Points:
    931
    It needs to be inspected by a professional and not left plugged in due to fire risk.
     
  9. dogcat

    dogcat Notebook Enthusiast

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    6
    I spoke with the seller of the laptop. They said that mother board is no longer available for the np9150. They said they could still take a look at it but there isn’t much that they could do. It cost about $100 round trip to ship my computer.

    If this isn’t a DC in jack problem then it isn’t worth it.

    Would a cracked pin/pad on the input be visible by visual inspection?
     
  10. Meaker@Sager

    Meaker@Sager Company Representative

    Reputations:
    7,520
    Messages:
    47,217
    Likes Received:
    12,744
    Trophy Points:
    931
    For the input Jack usually yes, especially if you wiggle it a bit. A good repair shop would charge around £50 here most likely if that's the cause.
     
Loading...

Share This Page