Power flickered... now white screen and 8 beeps

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by MartinReyes, Apr 25, 2019.

1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, man, will do. So far it appears to be responding, I was able to toggle Internal/External screen (it goes fully black), but HDMI-In doesn't respond. Full white. All I get is white screen, with proper brightness control. Tried the same with M6100 in right slot, nothing.

2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is why MrFoxRox!

MagicMike, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @MrMogwai. I just noticed what you are searching for. See this post... it may have something useful for you.

***EVGA Precision X and Windows 7/8/8.1 and especially 10 bricking systems***

Sorry I did not reply sooner. I only read the part of the post from @Raidriar where he tagged me.

Papusan likes this.
  4. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    In my case still no luck. Going to check the screen on the second M18X I got, see if it's any good, and I have accidentally won a bid for 11 mobos from different broken Alienwares, two M18X boards included.

If the screen is fine then I believe it's safe to assume that it's some motherboard component failure, so then maybe some soldering experiments will commence. Got two beasts right now, one fully operational, the other, well, not so much, and with parts to spare I'll have something to keep my hands busy during those weird, weird times ;)

5. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Ok, so I did some inspection of the motherboard by eye and it seems there is some corrosion on the pins of the LVDS port and a chip appears to be fried. While I was able to manually clean the traces (there was a short between them, when it was cleared the 'whiter' stripes on the white background disappeared), there is still some chips fried. The screen is fine, I've swapped it into the second M18X. When spare parts arrive I will attempt to resolder relevant chips and put them on the m18x R2 (it turns out that the broken one is m18x R2 and the working one is m18x R1). But that's at least a week away. High hopes though. Need to dust off my hot air soldering station and buy proper flux.

Mr. Fox likes this.