Power Cable Problems

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Jonty, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonty

Jonty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys

I have an M4400 and the end of the power cable has separated, so I can now see the internal wires (dodgy cell phone photos below!)

http://img839.imageshack.us/i/imag0021t.jpg/

http://img832.imageshack.us/i/imag0018.jpg/

I have contacted Dell's tech support and they said there's nothing they can do except buy another power adapter. The system is about 14 months old and I have a three-year next day onsite warranty.

I remember other people here having the same problem, but I can't find the appropriate threads :(

Do you think it's worth pushing Dell about this? It seems like a design flaw to me, since the cable doesn't flex easily, so any bend puts undue pressure on this section which eventually pulls itself apart (it won't push back together either).

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Won't Dell offer to replace it under warranty?

John

3. Jonty

Reputations:
    Hi John

They said it's not covered, but I'm not sure if that's true, so I'm checking the small print now.

Given the laptop itself is covered for three years, I'd be surprised if the power adapter isn't, as I really don't want to spend ~$99 to buy a new one.

I'll post again when they reply.

Edit - Having just read their FAQ, I might be OK. I suppose they'll argue it's 'normal wear and tear', but I don't think it should fail after a few months of careful looking after.

4. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The adapter should be covered by the warranty, although the damage looks to be only cosmetic. Glue it back together and it should be OK.

5. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    1. It should fall apart in normal use. As you noted in your first post, a few other people have encountered the same problem.

2. If you do end up having to buy another, then check out ebay for genuine Dell adaptors. They are much lower than Dell's prices. I have several adaptors parked in different places so I don't normally need to carry one. It reduces the baggage and also reduces the wear on the cables.

John

6. Jonty

Reputations:
    Hi guys

Thank you. Robin24k, the strange thing is the two pieces can't be pushed back together. I guess some electrical tape would do, though.

John, I know you're right, but I just think it sucks that a small percentage of customers have to pay for Dell's mistake after only a short time.

Thanks for the eBay tip, though. Out of interest, are yours genuine parts or third-party items?

7. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Super glue should be able to hold it together. I had one of my power cords fall apart at the blue ring, but it was because there wasn't enough glue, so it just slid off.

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    If it advertised as "genuine" Dell that that is what it should be. check the seller ratings. The ones I have bought (in UK) are genuine.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.