Power Brick clicking noise - Normal????

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by antisniperspy, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. premudriy

premudriy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, I completely agree. My battery, however, was completely charged. Also, I have a very good power inverter which has overload protection. It starts making beeping noises at >150W and turns itself off at >175W according to the user manual + there's a fuse along the sig. lighter's wire too in my car (not that I'm putting my hopes on it).

Overall I'm very mindful of things like that and I have some good experience in electronics, but I also think it is very thoughtful and kind of you making these remarks about dangers of overloading car's DC. I've seen some car's wiring short and catch on fire before.

Also, a while ago I borrowed a Kill-A-Watt unit to measure all my computers' power consumption (just curiosity). Unfortunately I've lost the spreadsheet that I've made for all my computers, but I remember that my laptop was definitely <100W while not playing and was 165-170 W while running Furmark (just like you said). I haven't tested the wattage while charging battery though...

2. metalangel

metalangel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think this is "normal", my old Gateway FX7811 has the same problem, but it still lives.

3. sean473

sean473 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't hear a clicking noise.. its more of a whirring one like the fans in the fridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.