Power Brick clicking noise - Normal????

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by antisniperspy, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. premudriy

premudriy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, my power supply's temperature after half hour browsing is 40 C or 104 F. Definitely a nice feet warmer. lol.

So, I guess there's nothing wrong with you power supply and no need for RMA, which is very good.

2. premudriy

Reputations:
    Oh, forgot to add that I double checked: my power brick doesn't make any noise at all unless under heavy load such as Furmark or Crysis.

3. BKoolReturns

BKoolReturns Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a g73JH-A1, and I also hear the clicking, but only when i use the scroll wheel on the mouse. My power brick gets warm, but not unusually hot by any means.

4. antisniperspy

antisniperspy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I gues the clicking, when i use the scroll wheel on the mouse is used is normal. Good to know thanks guys

5. premudriy

Reputations:
    Here's another interesting thing that I have discovered. I have a power inverter in my car that makes 110 volts out of car's 12 volts battery. The other day I had to sit in a parked car for an hour and I decided to use that inverter with my laptop.

I have found that my power brick starts making clicking noise right away (even without plugged into laptop) and much more loudly with car power inverter, than from a wall outlet.

There is a sticker on the power inverter that say "non-sinusoidal alternating current". So, now I'm thinking that maybe there is a relation between how sinusoidal the AC is clicking of the power adapter.

6. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    I do hope you realize that the cigarette lighter ports for DC12v output are limited to a max 130-140w max draw, and using a gaming machine like the G73JH through that can cause you to short out the port. (It can pull 172W occasionally)

For my G73 usage in my truck,I use my inverter's alligator clip connectors to connect to the battery circuit direct, and run the cable to the vehicle's interior.

7. premudriy

Reputations:
    Yes, I knew that and hence I wasn't gaming, but just browsed the internet. Also, that inverter is only 150 watts max, so there's no way I could game on it. It held out browsing just fine.

8. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    If the battery is recharging, it can still pull quite a bit.

9. himeee

himeee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i had an ac adapter that did the same clicking noise, and I didn't replace it. Later, the ac adapter wouldn't charge at the same rate, it would just charge my laptop very slowly.
    So yea, I think replacing it would be the best option. A good replacement though, not those cheap ones.

10. hakira

hakira <3 xkcd

Reputations:
    Could've been your battery was old too though..?

Anyone else find that it doesn't click nearly as much if you flip it on it's side, ie with the little light facing you? It's clicked once since I flipped it, and that was over a week ago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.