Power Brick clicking noise - Normal????

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by antisniperspy, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antisniperspy

antisniperspy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok at least someone else has this. I only noticed it because i had to put the brick next to my for like 10 seconds.

2. premudriy

premudriy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    May I ask what's the model of your laptop?

3. antisniperspy

Reputations:
    G73JH - A1

4. premudriy

Reputations:
    OMG!

I have a different laptop, G51vx, but just for the kicks I've decided to see if my power supply makes such clicking.

First, I've listened to it while browsing and didn't hear anything. Then I've ran Furmark and guess what... I could hear clicking of approximately 7-10 times per second. Now, this clicking is very very very quiet. I had to put my ear against the power supply surface to hear it. And I'm not deaf (a musician btw), but i couldn't hear it from 0.5 meters away.

I don't know if your clicking is louder than mine, but if you wouldn't tell, I would probably never ever noticed it.

Also, and most importantly, my power supply doesn't make any noise unless it is under heavy load (Furmark). It doesn't get hot while browsing either. So, there's still a chance that your power brick is flaky. You could try a different one to see if it behaves the same or ask more people with G73JH if majority of their laptops do that even without any load.

5. antisniperspy

Reputations:
    Yes same for me would have never noticed it unless the brick is within 2 feet of my ear. I might wait for more people to chime in before I call asus to get a replacment.

6. alladintherogue

alladintherogue Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Put my ear to mine,and it just hums....

7. premudriy

Reputations:
    So, how hot does your power supply gets while under load and while browsing? Do you have a digital thermometer to measure it?

I will browse for half an hour, then measure the temperature of my power brick and post the results. Of course, it would be much more useful if people with the actual G73JH would post their feedback too.

8. alladintherogue

alladintherogue Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No digital thermometer but it's not painful to touch it,will act as a nice feet warmer when winter comes :p

9. antisniperspy

Reputations:
    Thats about as warm as mine gets.

10. hakira

hakira <3 xkcd

Reputations:
    How interesting, mine does the same thing. I have sensitive hearing, so I've heard "springy" noises occasionally but shrugged it off as vibrations affecting speakers... now I know it's actually the power brick! What makes it interesting is that it really only does seem to happen when scrolling down a webpage - my system is backing itself up right now and my 3 HDD's are spinning quite fast, but it isn't sproinging.

prem, my brick seems to have the same temperature ("quite warm", it feels like ~40c, sort of like touching the dashboard of a car sitting in the summer sun) while idle as it does under load.

Let's see what we have in common? Mine was shipped with an A2 made in may, the part # on it is FSP150-ABBN1, and it seems to do it less frequently if it is on it's side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.