Power Brick clicking noise - Normal????

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by antisniperspy, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antisniperspy

antisniperspy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, Just noticed this when I had my power brick sitting right next to me. When im browsing the internet using my scroll wheel to go up and down a web page by power brick makes a clicking noise. Is this normal as this is my first laptop in 6 years or so.

Thanks

2. 00slevin

00slevin Newbie

Reputations:
    I have had the clicking noise on all the laptops I have owned. I think it is normal. I mean I hope it is ;)

3. premudriy

premudriy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think that this is normal. I haven't heard how exactly your power brick is clicking, but that could be either a thermal protection relay or electricity shorting/sparking, both of which would be bad. Does your power brick get really hot? If so, then it's most likely the thermal relay if it has one.

In either case, I would be looking for a power brick replacement.

4. premudriy

Reputations:
    I think author means the clicking of the power brick and not the laptop. Is that right? If you meant the actual laptop makes clicking noises, then it's probably the hard drive head and that is normal.

5. antisniperspy

Reputations:
    Yes it is the power brick that is making the clicking and it only does it when it gets real hot. Should I rma for a replacment? Any others have this problem if it even is a problem?

6. premudriy

Reputations:
    Ok, then it's most definitely the thermal relay kicking in for protection. Now, where do you have your power brick? Is it "in the open" or maybe you have it covered with some cloth? Is it laying on a bed, thick carpet, or on other piece of cloth?

Also, I assume it gets very hot even if you are using your laptop "lightly", i.e. browsing the Internet. Is this right?

7. antisniperspy

Reputations:
    Right now its sitting on a wood table. Nothing on top of it. It has tons of room. Its almost like a spring noise. It does it every so ofter then im scrolling up/down a web page. It seems really weird to me. It was even doing it right after I started the computer and the brick was still cool to the touch. But yes even when doing nothing it gets pretty warm.

8. premudriy

Reputations:
    From what you have said there are 2 possibilities now:

1) The power supply is faulty, can't handle the load, and quickly overheats.

2) Something is wrong with the power rectifying circuit inside the laptop itself and causes unusually high load for the CPU. This can mean that the laptop must be RMA-ed.

To rule out issue #2 you could try using an identical power supply and see if clicking issue persists. You need to find a power supply with:

-same wattage
    -same voltage
    -same polarity on the plug

See if you have a power supply around the house and could test it with your new computer.

You could also most likely get a compatible power supply from a local radio shack or so.

On the other hand, if you don't want to bother with all of this you could RMA your whole system and get a different one, but here's my opinion on RMA: from my experience, RMA may take a while and there is a chance that you will get back a laptop with even more problems (just a chance, but still...).

Therefore, I would try a new power supply. If your new/compatible power supply will also make such clicks, then there is no other choice but to RMA the laptop and hope that you will get a "normal" one in exchange.

9. SHAKEn

SHAKEn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine does the same thing...

normal? I don't know

If it's bad I need to get it exchanged or replaced ASAP.

I first noticed it in a hotel room, plugged into the wall socket and brick was on the desktop beside me.

Sounds like a spring or relay clicking in power brick, while typing or scrolling/clicking around in a web page

10. antisniperspy

Reputations:
    My laptop just got back from rma so I will try the first one I think.

Thanks for the help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.