Power and Battery life. Considering Aero 14/15 but there are buts...

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Adreqi, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adreqi

Adreqi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello ! time has come for some hardware refresh.
    (current : 2012 MSI GE60-0NC - Intel Core i5-3210M 4GoDDR3 500GoSATA-HDD 15.6" GT650M + additional 8GB-DDR3 and 500GB SSD) :
    works somewhat fine but could be better - also the battery is long dead. Also it's a gaming laptop which is not what I'm looking for anymore.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Below 2000€​

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    around 14/15"​
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    France

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Like : nothing particular really
    Dislike : Don't want a macbook, and preferably no shiny red gaming design like alienware or the likes.​
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    not unless there's the deal of my life

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Music production, programming, maybe 3D/2D graphics, light gaming​

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both​

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    No AAA games. The heaviest one performance-wise would be Guild Wars 2 and I won't need high settings. I already have a gaming desktop for that.​

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    The bigger, the better.​

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'll probably buy it from ldlc.com or materiel.net anyway. amazon.fr if it has the deal of my life

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows (I'm also ok with laptops without installed OS).​

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    1080p​

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    I'd rather have a matte screen.
    Now, my current one is glossy and I'm used to it, so I wouldn't mind it either.​

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No but I'll like it more if it looks good ^^​

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    I'm waiting for black friday to see if there are interesting deals, but I probably won't wait longer (except if the deal of my life comes out in the next, say, 3 months)​

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    My current one is 5 years old, I hope the next one lasts at least as much.​

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    SSD is a must. I already had a taste now I couldn't get back :') (current config: 500GB SSD system drive + 500GB HDD data drive)
    I also need a secondary drive, mostly for audio libraries, but it's fine if it's not included as long as I can add one later (see doubts about aero 14 below). I used to look for a SSD+HDD combo (currently have 500GB each) but I don't think it meets my battery life requirements again (can anyone confirm ?)​

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    not needed.
    Thoughts and current options:

So I want something powerful enough to be comfortable with for at least 5 years, with good battery life.

I would get a MSI again since I was happy with my current one, but they don't meet my battery requirements (as of pretty much all gaming laptops) (aaaand the GE63VR jumps out of my list).

For now, I'm looking at the Gigabyte aero 14, which looks perfect specs-wise, except it seems it doesn't have a secondary HDD/SSD slot. The aero 15 has it but it's also a bit over my budget(+300€). Plus, for both of them, I don't know if the battery can be easily replaced, I'm pretty sure that will be the first thing to die.

Dell XPS 15 is also on the track for its battery life as well, it's cheaper and almost as powerful, but I heard some complaints about things not working properly.

Also, LDLC (french shop where I'll probably get my next laptop) makes its own brand of laptop based on Clevo chassis, Can you tell me about the reliability and battery life of clevo laptops ?

Are there some other options out there ? Did I miss the deal of my life ?

2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Aero 15

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.