Post your security setup

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Hungry Man, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've seen many computers infected while running McCaffee and the performance isn't great.

2. Steven

Steven God Amongst Mere Mortals

Reputations:
    And its quite the resource hog compared to free applications that do a better job of detecting nasty software such as MSE or even Avast!

3. Steven

Steven God Amongst Mere Mortals

Reputations:
    New security setup:
    Comodo Firewall And Defense+
    Mamutu
    Avast! Anti-virus internet security (Firewall disabled, letting Comodo use it's firewall at the current time)

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I accidentally posted this in what was a dead thread ("How paranoid are you about security"), so I'll move it to this current thread. Mods can delete my post in the previous thread if there's a problem.

To login into my laptop, you would need one of my ten fingers (and no, fingerprint scanners don't work with dead, cut-off fingers :p ). Otherwise, it's a long, long password of all sorts of characters.

On my hard drive, I have a 8GB TrueCrypt file, protected by AES+Twofish and Whirpool hash. To generate its password (as well as all my other passwords), I used a randomly-generated 32-character password with all possible characters (or, for websites that don't accept 32 characters or special characters, whatever is the highest and most secure). My Keepass is AES protected with a long, but easy to remember password (though most people don't know much about what I like in my private life, so it's easy for me to remember a password based on something other people wouldn't know about me). Keepass-stored passwords are mostly used for secure websites, like email and online banking; for online forums, I still type in my username/password.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials for real-time virus protection, and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware free version for more in-dept scanning.

With Firefox, I have Adblock-Plus, NoScript (I have to admit that this is annoying when you first use it, but most of my most-visited sites are white-listed), HTTPS-Everywhere, and BetterPrivacy. Sure, my internet performance is slowed down on an already slow connection (1.5Mbps DSL), but I don't game online, nor stream video, nor use torrents very often.

And, probably the most important security feature in my opinion, is that I never allow anyone other than myself to use my laptop. Nobody. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. Another common sense idea is that I don't post personal contact information on my Facebook account (or anywhere else, for that matter), except for the required email address (one that I don't use often). No phone number, no address, and obviously no other information that I am not 100% comfortable with sharing with the rest of the internet.

Another practice I have, though not strictly a security feature, is to have multiple backups of everything information (school work, legal, photos of things dear to me, etc). Aside from my laptop's drive, I have another two laptop drives laying around that I can attach via a hard drive dock, and I have a portable hard drive and flashdrive as well, plus a Dropbox account (with my data encrypted, of course). Each solution has its own TrueCyrpt file

Paranoid? Maybe, but I feel safe that it's next to impossible for anyone in the world to harm my data or myself using technology as an attack vector (I'm still suspect to someone physically attacking me, but there's not a lot anyone could do about that).

5. Metallica93

Metallica93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you sh*tting me about the fingerprint scanner? I didn't even know a laptop could do that :confused: And what's this about dead fingers not working? You've got to be some sort of government agent. If so, don't say yes. I value my life.

lol at the second part, though :D

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Lol, I'm not a government agent, just a (rising) college (engineering) student who has a lot of free time to learn about random things. Dead fingers won't work because most modern scanners also check for a pulse and the fancy ones also detect body heat, both of which are lacking in cut-off fingers.

7. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    Except.... I don't need your actual finger to use your fingerprint reader. Its capitative. Not as easy as optical scanners (heh.... lotsa fun with those), but still not that hard.

8. Metallica93

Metallica93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm an incoming freshman myself. Seems I have a lot to learn about modern technology, though o_O Granted, if you want to see something scary (or at least I thought it was) look up "Big Dog" on Youtube.

*enter computer jargon here in an attempt to stay on topic*

9. sidvelu

sidvelu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Currently using Norton after switching from Avast free. O and windows firewall of course.

10. Simplified

Simplified The Most Awesome

Reputations:
    This is my security setup:
    -Panda Cloud
    -Ad-aware
    -Spybot Search & Destroy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.