Post Your Ride(s)

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Thaenatos, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    See I LOVE manual vehicles. But for the uses I have for my rig I cannot have a manual as they cannot tow/haul anywhere near what an automatic can and they arent as good for offroad.

Manuals are fun as heck and I never understood the argument of "autos are more convenient" as I could drive a manual without even thinking about it. Second nature.

2. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What? What? What?

Technically, a manual is superior as far as towing, especially with a really low "creeper" gear. Good lord, just about every Class 8 truck has a 18 speed manual.

A manual is also better for offroading, giving you more control, although again, you really need a transfer case with a low range - 4L!

Very obviously, automatics are easier to drive. All it takes is one really rough downshift in the middle of corner to spin-out, especially at high speeds, on a wet or icy road. Nope, automatics are undeniably easier, especially for a new driver.

Pumping the brakes was never an effective means of preventing the brakes from locking up. Before ABS, it was always advisable to practice "threshold breaking," not pumping the brakes. ABS allow you to stop and steer. Brilliant. Stability control is even better - you can now stop and steer in the middle of a sharp corner. Even more brilliant. Mash the pedal without worrying about locking up or spinning out.

I can assure you that ABS doesn't kill your braking performance. That was only true back in the early 90s, and even then, only with very cheap, low performance ABS systems. Oh and don't pump the brakes in an ABS equipped vehicle. Don't do it.

Similarly, you shouldn't turn off the stability control at just the time you might need it. Honestly, unless you're in 4-low, there's no need to turn off stability control on snowy day. It's actually a dangerous practice.

So is a dual clutch gearbox an "automatic" in your opinion?

Personally, I think I'd always go with the transmission that get the job done the best, and if a dual-clutch gearbox accelerates faster and makes smoother shifts than any manual, I'd go that way.

Of course, upcoming Porche 911 is supposed to have a 7-speed manual. That'll be a whole lotta shiftin.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Did you even read any of my posts and not quote one portion of it? And no, dual clutch is NOT automatic, but it isn't a stick shift either. And my preferences of dual clutch are very limited (only felt real good on the time I drove my friend's GT-R, most others are rubbish).

4. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    I would have said that manual was better off road, but having a good amount of experience off road with an auto ... I prefer it off road!

When crawling, it's nice to just give it a bit of gas to get over something. I've seen guys smoke clutches or engage it too quick and stall or break something.

The biggest downside to an auto offroad is rocking it in the mud. I had to rock for about 10 minutes to get out of somewhere. It would have taken 2 seconds with a manual, but I'd go ahead and back 2 or 3 times, then let it sit for a minute with the fan on the trans cooler, then keep at it. I hate mud so it's no a problem.

The auto in the Cherokee is a stout one and I have a giant cooler on it and maintain it ... I don't worry one bit that I'll lose the transmission.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Any way to upgrade the transmission cooler on Jeeps? I know Nissan had issues with theirs on the old school Pathfinders (stock transmissions coolers would gum up and you would need a new transmission)

6. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    It's quite simple. I just tapped into the rubber line going from the small cooler in the radiator to the transmission. Added at 15,000 pound truck cooler. I figure if guys can beat on cherokees for 200,000 miles without a transmission cooler and regular transmission maintenance, I should be okay with a cooler and routine transmission service.

7. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    >.< The "manual" in big rig trucks is whats call semi automatic. Its an automatic hydraulic transmission. There is no clutch, flywheel or pressure plate. Its 100% hydraulic and just like an automatic transmission.

The reason manuals cannot will not and will NEVER ever be as good at hauling or even close to half as good is the clutch system. Once you reach a certain weight the clutch cannot maintain traction and slips. Look at the tow rating of a manual vs auto if you need more proof.

As for the off road comment Im not going to call you an idiot or anything but the ratios in the gearbox do NOT determine what your transfer case reduces to. Sure final drive is determined by the transmission then the transfer case then the axles, but the transfer case is what determines 4L reduction NOT the transmission. Manual gear ratios vs auto in the same vehicle will be very close. As for control no. A beefy auto will have just as much control if not more as you can mix the brake in for finer tuning. Cant do that with a manual.

Im not even going to touch on this more then in the 12 years I have been driving ABS has hurt my bad weather driving and ABS IS THE EXACT SAME AS PUMPING THE BRAKES!

8. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Well here she is in all her glory! I have plans for her but most will be on hold for a long time. Its a 2002 and awesome! Yes Im keeping the KJ.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next the the ol' KJ!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Selling the WJ GC? I can't stand pre-99 Grand Cherokees (looks wise)

10. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Hell no! Just picked her up from my wifes uncle. It was her grandmas jeep and has a very strong sentimental value to it. Going to stay mostly stock for now. Probably do the aux port conversion and full exhaust/intake system and keep it like that for a while.

As for ZJs (pre 99 GCs) I personally love them. The first jeep I drove on the road and real offroad was a 1998 with a 5.9l. Wow the torque was awesome!