Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Amnesiac

Amnesiac 404

Reputations:
    I can't believe you people in the US complain about the price of your petrol. Over here, it's $1.50 AUD per litre, so essentially $5.79 US per gallon.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    It could be worse; check out Europe, especially the UK (roughly $8-$10/gal).

Considering the amount of fuel I use to travel to/from home, a slight increase in price means the difference of ~$40 to ~$60 per round trip, and for a college student that extra $20 is valuable. I'd rather spend that money on books, or at the very least a night out every so often to keep me sane.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Back in like 2001, we had less than 1 dollar per gallon..and it averaging like 3.60-3.80 is relatively expensive. Til you drive a car with like 12 mpg average, :D.

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Exactly. When gas was about $1.50/gal we had a price hike to about $3.00 over night. That is a 100% increase. It's a shock to the system. Now if gas goes below $3.00/gal I think it's wonderful. It's a great demonstration of forced supply/demand. Please move us to alternative fuels sooner than later across the board. Electric cars don't help because they just expend the same fuel during the manufacturing process of the batteries and at the power plants when charging the vehicles. Hydrogen please!

5. The Happy Swede

The Happy Swede Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree, Hydrogen cars seem to be the best alternative!

6. MAA83

MAA83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I remember in high school, number of dollars = number of gallons you got. I mean within my lifetime (and I'm not that old) gas used to be sub-dollar! The industry shows no love to hyrdogen though because they're TOO good, meaning post sales opportunities are low.

Anyone see that 2006 documentary "Who killed the electric car"? Has a good bit of info regarding hydrogen cell cars and why the automotive industry and the related stakeholders want to stick to hybrid electrics. Most of it is about sappy EV1 owners but there's some interesting facts mixed in as well.

7. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I remember back in the late 90's, gas in the Junction City, KS area was about 70 cents per gallon. When I would go to get gas for the lawn mower, I'd have to drag the lawn mower with me just go use the full dollar that my dad gave me.

8. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Tell me about it, for my boss to fill up a tank of diesel in his 4x4 it's £120 (~$189 USD) and it usually only last a week! Even for my Golf Hatchback it costs £60 (~$95 USD) to fill up though that usually lasts me 2 weeks on my typical commute.

9. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, it doesn't help that they tax the hell out of everything over there. Didn't you once say that there was a 20% sales tax in England?

Still though it may be cheaper here than in Europe, gas is still expensive to us over here. It cost me $42.01 to fill up my Grand Prix from a quarter tank almost a week ago. I currently have about three quarters of a tank. When my mom fills up her truck, I think it costs about $80. However, she uses regular and I use high-test.

10. Johnny T

Johnny T Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There still is a 20% sales tax. Over the last few years it went from 17.5->15->17.5->20%. :-/