Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They told me my billing address was incorrect, but I had to call them 3 times to get that info out of a rep.

Very true. One of the machines still had the original 2GB of ram in it which I upgraded to 4GB from a parts machine. With the lack of upgradeability in mind, I picked one of the higher-end configurations. 8 core i9 and 16GB should last me 5 years, but hopefully longer. You can find some great deals on MacBooks with AppleCare+ on Swappa. It's 2 months old and I saved $850 over new.

Same here, I was considering an XPS 17 9700 or LG Gram 17 before jumping on the MacBook. I guess 16" will have to do. That Maingear rig looks like a solid gaming rig for the price. If I had gaming in mind, I'd definitely steer clear of an Apple product.

I haven't really used a mouse in years. Is the G604 better than an Apple trackpad?

saturnotaku likes this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    In my experience, I couldn't pay with anything, not even PayPal, which had three confirmed addresses. So screw 'em. Plenty of other fish in the sea, as they say.

I'd rather buy refurbished direct from Apple or on clearance from an authorized retailer. That's how I got my old 2011 MBP that was my daily for almost 5 years. At the time, it was the the top-of-the line model with the upgraded i7 2860QM CPU, 1 GB Radeon 6770M, and 1680x1050 matte display. It would have been $2,800 but the first Retina models were hitting shelves so MicroCenter put the outgoing one on clearance for $1,600. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

I love the design and specs of the XPS 17, but the price and inadequate 130W AC adapter crossed it off the list. The Gram was an interesting option, but the low-power quad-core CPU and complete lack of a dGPU were a no-go. I don't game much on the laptop side, but when I do I want something with reasonable punch. The RX5600M in the MacBook Pro is surprisingly capable, especially if you get the 8 GB or HBM2 upgrade. BootCamp is still a thing, so you can actually game natively on it, which is about the only way since Catalina broke compatibility with most of the titles that were available on macOS. GeForce Now and Stadia are options, but you don't need a $2,800 MacBook Pro for that.

Despite the improvements in Windows precision touchpads, they are still light years behind Apple. My work laptop is a Mac, and I don't use a mouse with it at all. The G604's extra side buttons are really useful for older games that have a lot of functions mapped to the keyboard.

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    seagate 5gb external hdd for my 200 plus games i have in my backlog...100 cad and cab ride as van needs a repair...broke even and helped a friend out with the 100

4. Nick

Nick Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Supposedly that's been fixed with a motherboard revision. But Notebookcheck claims it can still drain a few percent over hours of gaming. Maybe a 3rd party 150 watt adapter would fix the problem entirely.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...ed-on-latest-production-batches.492449.0.html

As far as the LG Gram 17 goes, the 1065G7 is roughly equivalent to a i5-10300H, which is pretty impressive for a 15 watt chip. The only way it would be a viable gaming rig is with an external GPU setup though.

5. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lenovo Legion 5 AMD Version

This thing is a beast! :cool:

Fishon likes this.
  6. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    3 Logitech B100 mice, and a 2 pairs of scissors one being for everyone and one for myself. Why three? Because I GOTTA. Actually no it's because I like these mice so much, cheap and cheerful and reliable. I had to get three due to Amazon's restriction it had on it. Couldn't get one.

7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    how is the game killkenny1>?

I have been looking forward to this game for a while might pick it up

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Can’t try it out yet, will only have an access to my PC tomorrow...