Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    A replacement bluetooth audio adapter for the Switch. First one up and stopped working. :mad:

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    bASS guitar

[​IMG]

Fishon likes this.
  3. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Name change filing. Yay legal fees!

Update: It went through!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Fishon likes this.
  4. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Datamongette? :D

5. Yotsuba

Reputations:
    lol no. Evangeline.
    Thanks for reminding me to have my username changed though!

Fishon likes this.
  6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Shame, Datamongette sounds better :D

Fishon likes this.
  7. Yotsuba

Reputations:
    tbh, I've mostly left the Datamonger name behind at this point. I started using either Yotsuba or Yotsuba Kowa as my name online about a year or so ago, when I started playing Final Fantasy XIV (character's name on there is Y'tsuba Kowa). IRL though, my name is Evangeline.

8. Nick

Nick Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    After @saturnotaku jinxed my Dell order, it was canceled. ;)

While I was getting some old MacBooks ready to sell for a friend, I realized they were 10+ years old and still worked great(albeit slowly). My Dell Latitude is dying after just 3 years, so I decided to go to the dark side this time around.

MacBook Pro 16 - i9/16/1000/5500M
    [​IMG]

Fishon likes this.
  9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Nick likes this.
  10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My power transcends that of the real world and into the virtual realm! I seriously don't understand Dell's deal, but I have no problems giving my money to a company that's actually willing to take it.

On a more serious note, those 10-year-old Macs still had upgradable components, which is more than you can say for the one you just bought. I've honestly thought about giving up on Windows laptops and going back, but $2,800 plus AppleCare for the spec I want is a tough pill to swallow. I've also been seriously wanting to step into the realm of 17-inch laptops so I'm trying out the Maingear Element 2-EL2, which is a Tongfang chassis that contains an i7 10750H, 32 GB of RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, and a GeForce RTX 2060 Max-P GPU, all for a sale price of $1,499.

So far, I'm digging how thin it is. The build quality is excellent for the price, it's basically silent when streaming videos and other basic tasks, and after tweaking, Windows says it's good for 9-10 hours of battery life. Haven't done a ton of gaming on it, but so far, performance is pretty darn good thanks to the Max-P GPU. The CPU would hit a toasty 90C under a full load, but setting the all-core turbo boost to 3.8 GHz (default is 4.2) with ThrottleStop brought that down under 80. While the keyboard is fun to hammer on, the backlighting is pretty dull, and the layout is a bit weird due to a lack of separation between the keys and there being no secondary enter next to the numpad. The 144 Hz screen is solid, though my particular unit has a bit more IPS glow (it's not really backlight bleed) than other laptops I've used, but this isn't a big deal since I don't spend my time staring at black backgrounds. So far I'm not feeling the same pangs of regret after trying nearly a dozen other laptops over the last 6 months.

With the Best Buy Reward Zone certificate money that was refunded after my last laptop return, I also grabbed a Logitech G604 mouse. The G602 was one of my favorite mice of all time, and this one improves on it with Lightspeed USB and Bluetooth connectivity so I can use it seamlessly between my desktop and laptop. The ability to switch the scroll wheel between standard and free spinning is a somewhat odd thing for a gaming mouse, but I'm growing to appreciate it, even if the former mode renders it a bit firmer than I'm used to.

Nick likes this.