Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Whereas I would buy something for PC for the majority of money and continued living on my Lidl rations :D

Kyle and hmscott like this.
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Food is something we really enjoy and we find a value in eating well. But very very rarely will we go to a high end restaurant, because to us, the value is just not there. Yes, ambiance 'the experience' plays a part, but for us, it's really about the food. Sushi is the exception where I will pay a lot for it, since quality fish does cost. In Vancouver Canada, we spent $300 on a live king crab when we happened to be there within a small window when it is available. Again, it was for the particular item and not any extreme preparation or ambiance. Chinese food is difficult to make as well as the better restaurants, so we frequent these a lot, but compared to Western type foods, it's a much better value for what you get. High end steakhouses are not something I go to at all. While I don't have a thousand degree broiler and can't prepare a steak myself in this way, I'm proficient at steak and can consume it much more affordably at home.

@hmscott You mention home made sushi. I've done this as well, but trust me, the cost and preparation time is very high here too. Good quality food costs money as everyone knows. I'm a keen food shopper and always look for sales and what's in season. At home, I often prepare meals that costs less than $5 per serving.

Kyle, hmscott and killkenny1 like this.
  3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Adding, I'm amazed how lazy people are and how much you can save if you're not. Gaining in popularity at supermarkets is precut veggies and fruits. Everything has a purpose and if you're buying these for a work lunch instead of fast food, then okay. But so very expensive. Especially when I was tight with money and wanted to eat well, every couple of months whole chickens were on sale. I'd buy three and cook one, then put two in the freezer for later. Roasting a whole chicken with veggies and potatoes all around is great. I'd also cut out the backbone, neck, etc. and make a soups stock out of it. The thighs and legs for some sort of dinner meal. The breast I'd save for sandwiches. Leftover pieces for chicken soup. I still cook a lot this way today. I go to multiple markets where I know certain items are less expensive or better without getting to crazy about it. Farmers market as well. During the big holidays here, a lot of meats go on sale. I keep a freezer in the garage and stock up. When I go shopping, really nothing is pre made in a box. I often cringe at seeing what others are buying when in line to pay. Knowing your way around the kitchen really is a money saver, or at least you can eat better for the same amount of dough the other guy spends. Having the right condiments and basics around the house, I can put together a simple meal in no time.

Kyle, Hirosake, Convel and 4 others like this.
  4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Ordered Gnusmas Odyssey+ VR headset.
    Against my better judgment went ahead and ordered a product made by Gnusmas. First one in a while.
    Although not very keen on this particular company, I guess it's better than getting one owned by Arsebook.
    And the price was not too bad. 350 Euros is a pretty good deal for this package. Unfortunately these are not available in Europe, so had to order from US of A. Should come in about two weeks. I can't wait!

Hirosake and hmscott like this.
  5. Hirosake

Hirosake Guest

Reputations:
    Im very interested in buying one of these...please post your impressions :)

6. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:

Your wife is a lucky woman :)

One precut veggie deal which I like is the costco brocolli 3lb bag for ~$6. It has less of the stem compared to brocolli at supermarkets so that's another plus.

On the topic of veggies, got any recipies for baking beetroots? I like spicy :vbthumbsup:

hmscott likes this.
  7. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    I always buy a bag of baby spinach from Costco when I'm there.

Beets? Just roast them along with some other root veggies if you want. Olive oil or a vinaigrette, garlic cloves and some parsley or thyme if you've got it. A few bits of salt pork, Virginia ham, or panchetta is nice. If the beets come with their leaves, blanch or roast them too.

Hirosake and Kyle like this.
  9. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    A pair of Jabra Elite Active 75t earbuds. Had a giftcard so it wasn't as bad or expensive as it could have been. They sounds ok. Portability is definitely a plus. These can hold me over until I save for a new pair of IEMs.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've found the inexpensive KZ series of IEM's, from $20 up to about $50 sound great and I don't mind walking around with them vs $300+ IEM's. I like the KZ ZSN Pro and the KZ ZSX in particular. There are lots of other choices in the sub $50 range from KZ and other makes.

Which IEM's are you saving up for?