Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    And another one:
    [​IMG]

2. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I caved and bought another Mac (after selling my mid 2017 13" MacBook Pro back in October). This one is a mid 2014 15" MacBook Pro with a 2.8GHz Core i7-4980HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, and Intel Iris Pro 5200+nVidia GeForce GT 750M. Paid $600 for a $3200 computer (and just got the display replaced for free (delamination issue)).

saturnotaku and radji like this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For their birthdays, Christmas, and Mother's/Father's Day gift, I bought my parents an iPad Pro 12.9 with AppleCare+ and third party keyboard case, spare charger, and cable. This replaces their MSI whitebook with a Core2 Duo that they acquired more than 10 years ago, and it's still going strong. My mom is particularly thrilled because of how easy it's been for her to use. She was especially proud of being able to go online and find/read the owner's manual for her new washing machine. In the brief time I played around with it, I was really impressed with the display and blistering performance but not enough to want to get rid of my 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

A while back I picked up a cheap HP Pavilion x360 as something to tote around the house and for the few times throughout the year I travel. Even in very old games, its performance was lacking so I decided to look for something a bit more capable. I found an amazing deal (less than $500) on a brand-new Acer Swift 3 that had an i7 8550U and GeForce MX 150, but it would constantly blue screen with power-related errors, so back it went. Then I tried a more expensive Dell Inspiron 13 with a Ryzen CPU, and while the build quality was surprisingly premium, it ran very hot and more than once when I shut it down, it would power back up on its own, coughing up a BSOD while booting. Returned that yesterday for a refund. I now have a Razer Blade on its way. Despite their poor reputation for QC and customer service, I've always want to own one full-time. I had a 15-inch model at the end of calendar 2018 but had to return it for financial reasons. With those having cleared, I elected to go with a used but still decent condition 14-inch model. It's a 2014, so Haswell CPU and GTX 870M GPU, but that's fine because I wouldn't be playing any games newer than the year in which the laptop was made. It has Windows 10, but I'll probably roll it back to 8.1, which is what it ran out of the box. The soldered 8 GB of RAM won't be a big deal for my planned usage, but I'm going to want a bigger SSD. Too bad the system only supports SATA and not NVMe.

4. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Latest purchases... I guess that would be my Clevo PB51. Before that, I bought my mother an Amazon Fire tablet. She mostly watches YouTube channels on it so I just put YouTube Vanced app which is just like YouTube's official app but it blocks all YouTube Ads. Seem to work great.

5. Datamonger

Reputations:
    Back in October, when I sold my mid 2017 13" MacBook Pro, I had originally bought a Surface Book to replace it. Ended up not really liking that computer, so I sold it for what I paid for it and bought a refurbished Razer Blade Stealth (12.5" model). That computer ended up being defective. Razer was nothing but spectacular through the entire process and gave me one hell of an upgrade with the replacement they sent. The original Blade Stealth that I had ordered came with a Core i5-7200U, 8GB RAM, 128GB NVMe SSD, and a 12.5" 1440p display. What I got after sending the defective unit back was a Blade Stealth v4 with a Core i7-8550U, 16GB RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD, and a 13.3" 3200x1800 display. So I paid $600 for a computer that they normally sell refurbished for $1000. I didn't ask for this upgrade either, they did it on their own. Paired with my Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock, it's actually a fairly capable mobile gaming system as well.

Fishon, Kyle and Convel like this.
  6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    A couple of tickets for a Stick Men concert.

7. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Datamonger Dang, I thought you were going to say you went back to the Mac in the end :)

My last purchase: Sennheiser/Massdrop HD58X headphones

Love the way they sound, but they're like a vise-grip on my big head. :(

8. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    Hope you got a good gift for your mom for mother's day.

9. Datamonger

Reputations:
    Oh but I did. Mid 2014 15-inch MacBook Pro with a 2.8GHz Core i7-4980HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel Iris 5100+nVidia GeForce GT 750. All $600 on eBay. The display had the delamination issue, but I was lucky enough to have Apple replace it for free despite the computer being two months out of the 4-year period.

10. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    2014?!

Get one of the faulty keyboard machines :D

(I've had no issues with my keyboard fyi).