Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Now all you need is the trench coat. :D

[​IMG]

Never wore the black on black thing, but I agree with your attitude. Whatever position you're in you should always dress the part as it imparts a sense of professionalism. Except on casual Friday. I worked in investment banking and certainly had to dress very well. But on casual Fridays, being in Cali and having a cool manager, we could even dress in shorts. :cool: Nice to dress up, but I'm glad those days are over. I now work out of the house dressed like a bum.
    ________

Another box of these.

[​IMG]

Yotsuba and Gabrielgvs like this.
  2. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey, don't tempt me. Joking aside though, I actually went with all black because one of my coworkers, who happens to have gone to school for fashion, said that I have an intimidating (lol) presence and black suits me well. I'm inclined to agree, too. I think I look pretty good in all black with a deep red tie. Now if only I wasn't losing my hair......

radji likes this.
  3. Yotsuba

Reputations:
    I'll agree that going all USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 is a step in the right direction, but I'll have to disagree with the dongle life. Dongles are really only a problem if you let them be a problem. In 13 months that I've have my current MacBook Pro, I've only needed a dongle a handful of times (usually when either doing a clean install of macOS or running Windows from my external 1TB hard drive). When the time comes for me to replace my MacBook Pro, I'll likely move to Lenovo as well. Partially because I like the ThinkPad (the X1 Carbon is amazing) and partially because I get one hell of a discount through IBM ($1250 for a nearly top spec X1 Carbon).

Convel likes this.
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    It's not a problem so long as the required dongles for basic usage (Ethernet, USB type A, HDMI, etc) are included with the computer free of charge for X number of generations (until USB type C / Thunderbolt become commonplace). Otherwise it's just a neat technology soiled and ruined by greedy cash grabbing.

radji likes this.
  5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Uh oh. You've uncovered Apple's latest marketing conspiracy. You yourself may disappear pretty soon. :wideeyed:

Even I was skeptical about the USB-C standard. But now that it is proving superior to Apple's lightning port, of course it will begin to show up on most of their devices. When you think about it, having a whole bunch of adapters and dongles was the whole point of switching to USB-C. It was sold on the premise that device, like a laptop, could be equipped with 2 (maybe 3) USB-C ports and nothing else. No need to engineer any other I/O into the main boards or have costly daughter boards for I/O's. Let the end user buy whatever dongles they need to add the I/O's they require. The device manufacturer saves quite a lot in design and production on not wasting money on I/O's their consumers won't use on their devices. Its a very smart tech-business strategy. Apple attempted it with their lightning port but found the hardware limitations of it to be too difficult to overcome to pitch it as a permanent alternative to traditional USB ports and the like. USB-C, however, seems to actually make this idea possible.

Only aspect I am still sketchy on is the charging aspect. Fast charging for my phone over USB-C, while not in compliance with the standard, works just as intended with no consequence. On something like a Macbook Pro, which requires a much higher power input, I worry the limitations of the port will be reached with the first melted USB-C power adapter. Or maybe it takes Dell to blindly put a USB-C on the Alienware systems for charging, and for those adapters to catch fire before everyone realizes you can't put that much power thru a USB-C

6. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I should have clarified that I wouldn't find a computer with just USB-C ports all that problematic, even though we are in a transitional phase. What I find problematic about the 12" MacBook is how you need a dongle/splitter as soon as you want more than a single device connected, charger included. One USB port when there's no additional, dedicated charging port is not enough. :p I'm happy even Apple is adopting USB-C as a universal port though. We might even see them on iPhones, but I'm not holding my breath for that one considering the accessory market.

$1250 for a high-end X1 Carbon SKU is very nice indeed. o_O Are you limited to one particular SKU or is your discount applicable to the entire ThinkPad lineup? I paid $1500 for my X1 Yoga, but we have 25% VAT over here and I think it was priced that low mistakenly. Listing vanished fairly quickly.

7. Yotsuba

Reputations:
    That discount applies to any computer from Lenovo, be it ThinkPad, Ideapad, Legion (laptop and desktop), or any of their desktop models.

Convel likes this.
  8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Majestic Q400 Pro 64bit.
    Had a pretty good discount on it, so thought might as well upgrade to a Pro version with functional HUD, circuit breakers and ****.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Got a Dell Precision 7530 with specs:

Components
    1 Intel Xeon E-2176M, Six Core Xeon 2.70GHz, 4.40GHz Turbo, 12MB 45W, w/Intel HD GFX
    1 15.6" UltraSharp FHD IPS, 1920x1080 AG, NT, w/Prem Panel Guar 72% color gamut LCD
    1 Palm Rest, with DigitalPersona Full Scan FIPS finger print reader and Smart card
    1 15.6" FHD IPS, Non-touch, Cam/Mic Bezel
    1 15.6" FHD IPS, Non-touch, WLAN/WWAN Cover
    1 8GB, 1x8GB, 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC
    1 M.2 256GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
    1 Power Cord (UK)
    1 E5 180W 7.4mm Lot 6 PCR, Chicony
    1 6-cell 97Wh Lithium Ion battery with ExpressCharge
    1 Dell Venture Backpack 15
    1 Intel XEON Processor Label
    1 NVIDIA Quadro P3200 w/6GB GDDR5
    1 Thermal Pad for Nvdia Graphic cards
    1 Intel WiFi Link 9260 2x2 802.11ac
    1 Intel WiFi Link 9260 Wireless Driver
    1 No Mobile Broadband Card
    1 Bracket for the config of no 7mm HDD
    1 Internal Dual Pointing Backlit Keyboard, US English
    1 Dell Developed Recovery Environment
    1 Waves Maxx Audio
    1 SupportAssist
    1 No RAID

Software
    1 Resource Media not Included
    1 Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (4 Cores Plus) English
    1 Windows 10 Pro OS Recovery 64bit - USB
    1 No Productivity Software
    1 System Driver for Mobile Precision 7530
    1 vPro MOD - Manageability
    1 Dell Power Manager
    1 Dell Precision Optimizer

Service
    1 No Installation Service Required
    1 3Yr Technical Support
    1 Limited Warranty:Yr1-3 (Labor)
    1 Limited Warranty:Yr1-3 (Parts)
    1 3Yr ProSupport:Next Business Day Onsite Service
    1 3Yr ProSupport: (7x24) Technical Support & Assistance
    1 3Yr Accidental Damage Service
    1 No Dell ProSupport for Software, No DDPE Encryption SW

Fishon and Convel like this.
  10. Ratio Tile

Ratio Tile Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bought a hat like this one at a Montgomery Biscuits game recently. Minor league baseball!

Attached Files: