Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    SUCCESS!!!!

[​IMG]

EDIT: Now hakchi'd.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    t456 likes this.
  2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    2 pairs of JBL Focus wired headphones. Inexpensive, so I can use and abuse them with my iPod at the gym. Not worried about sound quality as they are only going to be receiving the TV audio transmitted over FM. Not exactly Hi-Fi. But it'll do.

(The second pair is for my mom as her headphones have so many knots and tears in the cord, they won't be lasting much longer...)

3. Rhodan

Rhodan NBR Expert of Nothing

Reputations:
    Did you look at the Asus routers? I run Merlin-WRT on the RT-5300 and it's very good.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead I Seek You

Reputations:
    Plex lifetime pass

Convel likes this.
  5. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why not, if both charger and cable is UBS-IF compliant? USB 3.1 Gen 2/Power Delivery 3.0 is capable of 100W (20V/5A). Comparatively, delivering up to 18W (9V/2A), which the iPhone X and Pixel 2 are capable of, or 39W (15V/2.6A) which the Nintendo Switch can draw, is peanuts. The cables are also shorter and thicker than many notebook chargers, though data lanes obviously contribute to said thickness. I look forward to a world of universal chargers and cables, along with bi-directional power.

6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    In a world where Apple exists, dream on :D.

radji likes this.
  7. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:

They did popularize probably my favorite connection method, magnetic. That mag charger on macbooks is awesome, and its one of my favorite features on my SP2. (also the mag keyboard attachment is great)

8. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/...m-quick-charge-are-fundamentally-incompatible

USB-C was not meant for that kind of wattage. I've taken apart a USB C cable to see how well it was built. I'd sooner put 18 watts thru a sparkler.

9. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's supposed to be at or near 70°F this week in my neck of the woods. The last hurrah for summer here this year I presume, though one can always be surprised. I'm hoping the last of the leaves fall off my neighbors tree so I can mulch the lawn and lay down the:

[​IMG]

before it's too cold or the snow flies.

10. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haha, fair point! There will always be companies that push proprietary standards, and I don't see Apple throwing away the ecosystem built around the Lightning connector. Their 12-inch MacBook, on the other hand, is one of the first notebooks to use USB-C for charging, and I do believe being able to use the same charger for your phone, tablet, and ultrabook will be commonplace in the not too distant future.
    That article only points out the potential dangers of straying from the open Power Delivery fast charging standard, of which neither the Pixel 2 or iPhone does. The article may also sound more dramatic than the actual situation is given Benson Leung's affiliation with Google.

Which cable did you take apart, specifically? There are a lot of hazardous cables and chargers on the market. They may lack a 56k ohm resistor or have wiring that's not in line with the official specification. Many USB-C cables are also made with only data transfer in mind, unlike newer 3.1 Gen 2 cables.